Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Double Cashback

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Double Cashback

I was wondering, if you are able to pay your mortage or rent with a Discover card, is this payment considered eligible for the Discover Double Cashback?

I did call Discover this week, and any charge paid via ApplePay by 12/31/15, earns 10% back and then does earn you the extra 2x cash back after the 13th statement for new card holders. But I'm wondering if this would apply to a mortage or rent charge/payment.

Has anyone else looked into this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Double Cashback

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering, if you are able to pay your mortage or rent with a Discover card, is this payment considered eligible for the Discover Double Cashback?

I did call Discover this week, and any charge paid via ApplePay by 12/31/15, earns 10% back and then does earn you the extra 2x cash back after the 13th statement for new card holders. But I'm wondering if this would apply to a mortage or rent charge/payment.

As long as the transaction is processed with Apple Pay it should qualify.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As long as the transaction is processed with Apple Pay it should qualify.

But it can't be online. At least the press release said something about 'in-store' or something. I don't have any options to pay mortgage or rent by CC other than through some online co that would cost money. If you rent and you go in somewhere with a contactless terminal and pay, I guess that could work. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only wanted to know about the new card member's 2x cash back feature being applicable here and not Apple Pay, since this is not a real world option. 

Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only wanted to know about the new card member's 2x cash back feature being applicable here and not Apple Pay, since this is not a real world option. 

IF you can pay your rent or mortgage via credit card, then yes, you get double cash back (if you are in that program).   It will just appear to be a purchase

So if the fee (if any) is low enough, it can be worth it. (usually the general commercial sites will charge too much)

Message 5 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mentioning Apple Pay in your OP confused people.

It's double on all cash back earned.

Double First Year Cash Back: After the first 12 consecutive billing periods that your new account is open, we will double all of the cash back rewards you've earned and apply them to your account in the following one or two billing cycles. You've earned rewards when they have posted to your account by the end of the 12th consecutive billing period. You will not receive Double Cash Back if your account is closed or no longer in the cash back reward program as of the award date. This promotional offer may not be offered in the future. This exclusive offer is available only to new cardmembers.

Since mortgage and rent are non category that means such charges would fall under the 1% for all other purchases which would be doubled to 2% with the additional 1% paid out at the end of the year period.  As stated above, consider any applicable fees if even possible for you.

Message 6 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

I was looking through my mail today and saw yet another Discover It solicitation. When I read through it I saw the double cash back offer. Has it been announced what the 2016 categories will be? I was looking and earlier this year they covered ground transportation. I have significant monthly expenses for the subways (I think its like $130 or something per month) if I could get that at x5 for four months and then double that the end of the year that would be a decent amount of cash back 10% off my costs. Is this a typical offer that will likely be around in Jan? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.