Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover - FT fees

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Discover - FT fees

Does Discover charge Foreign Transaction fees ?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover - FT fees

My understanding is there aren't any, unless that's changed recently. Of course, Discover acceptance outside the US might be questionable.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top credit card issuers’ foreign transaction fees

Here’s a look at the standard foreign transaction fees charged by major U.S. credit card issuers. It’s important to note that many issuers waive the foreign transaction fee on certain cards, including the ones listed above. Some major issuers don’t charge foreign transaction fees on any of their cards.

American Express 2.7%
Bank of America® 3%
Barclaycard 3%
Capital One 0%
Chase 3%
Citi 3%
Discover 0%
U.S. Bank 3% (2% for transactions in U.S. dollars)
Wells Fargo 3%

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee-credit-card/#sthash.ofJL...
Message 3 of 27
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Thanks. I am planning on using Amex PRG, CapOne and Discover during my trip to Asia. I am going to sock drawer rest of the cards.

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think American Express is accepted in many places in Asia, you may find a couple places randomly that accept it but 99% don't. I have friends in China and South Korea who have informed me of this when a friend asked about 3 weeks ago.

CapOne is MasterCard so should be okay.

Also Discover probably isn't accepted in many places there.
Message 5 of 27
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think American Express is accepted in many places in Asia, you may find a couple places randomly that accept it but 99% don't. I have friends in China and South Korea who have informed me of this when a friend asked about 3 weeks ago.

CapOne is MasterCard so should be okay.

Also Discover probably isn't accepted in many places there.

I'll let you know next week once I am there in Hongkong.

Message 6 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

What about the True Value Discover, or any other cobrands?

I checked the website, but to see the Schumer Box you need a customer ID.

Based on what I've heard in reference to UNFCU cards, my impression is that a card network can charge one FTF (like 1% for Visa, which the issuer may pay for the customer, either in full or possibly at a lower negotiated rate, to be able to say a card has no FTFs) while the issuer can charge an additional FTF (around 2%) or none at all.

Not sure how accurate that is.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since Discover is both a bank and a card network they are unique in that they set their fees and can choose to offer no FTF.

However, it's going to be exceedingly difficult to find businesses abroad that will accept Discover.
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

What about the True Value Discover, or any other cobrands?

That's the last cobrand Discover you can app for. It's 3% fees. (https://d.comenity.net/truevaluediscover/common/help/ForeignTransactionsHelp.xhtml)

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
However, it's going to be exceedingly difficult to find businesses abroad that will accept Discover.

You'll have better luck with Diners Club though... which is printed on the back of the Disco.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.