Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Grad! Yes it is real

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Grad! Yes it is real

As a previous poster mentioned you can switch cards to the 5% category one. I literally had same situation as you. Unsecured to $2k. Saw category card as better option especially due to cashback match (making it essentially 10% back on all grocery and yes you can buy gift cards to get it) they just make you wait until your next statement cuts. So if your statement cuts tomorrow, best ask today!
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Congrats. You could have changed the card at any time. I changed mine after my first statement.

Thanks I will be calling them tomorrow!  I thought the 'secured' was stuck at the 1%-2%

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

Congrats on your graduation (and all your progress)!   

And hey -- if you can, maybe consider holding off on closing your USAA secured card for a bit... there's a post floating around here from about a week ago regarding changes being made to the USAA secured -- the changes are currently unknown but perhaps there will finally be an ability to graduate??  That would make it worth holding on to.

Also - Happy New Year!

EDIT:  Link to that post about USAA secured: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/USAA-Secured/m-p/5450368

Looks like a 'new' secured card is coming --I don't know but may be worth it to wait and see if the new features will extend to existing card holders.

Thanks for the heads up!  I went to the USAA site and they have removed all of their secured cards. So I am thinking that it may be an automatic transistion to the new card(s). I had decided not to cancel  the card until my 2 year CD was up. I plan on getting a USAA card in time and was afraid that would look bad. Closing the secured card early that is. 

Screenshot_438.png

Message 13 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yay!! Thats awesome!! Discover is really good about that, and I always recommend a secured card from them to rebuilders.

Congrats to you on the graduation and CLI!! Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
As a previous poster mentioned you can switch cards to the 5% category one. I literally had same situation as you. Unsecured to $2k. Saw category card as better option especially due to cashback match (making it essentially 10% back on all grocery and yes you can buy gift cards to get it) they just make you wait until your next statement cuts. So if your statement cuts tomorrow, best ask today!

Thanks, I am going to call them tomorrow. They did my CLI 3 days after my last statement so I will have to wait until Feb :/ I can definitely take advantage of the 5% categories! 

Message 15 of 22
thornback
Senior Contributor

Closing it early won't look bad.  I closed mine after 1 year and 1 month -- once the closing process was complete (took about 10 days to get my deposit back) I apped for an unsecured and was instantly approved for 8K.   They honestly do not care if you close it early -- i think they understand given there was no where to go with the card.   You know -- i just closed mine this past November -- just a few weeks before the news of changes came out so I may have missed out - oh well.  But for anyone that still has their secured card - i would strongly suggest waiting till the new card line emerges to see how it affects your current status. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the heads up!  I went to the USAA site and they have removed all of their secured cards. So I am thinking that it may be an automatic transistion to the new card(s). I had decided not to cancel  the card until my 2 year CD was up. I plan on getting a USAA card in time and was afraid that would look bad. Closing the secured card early that is. 

Screenshot_438.png

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 16 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Nope. I called the day I received it. My statement cut 3 days later and it was a 5% card.

Message 17 of 22
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

You can actually hop on chat and ask them to product change the card. They did that for me via chat even before the card graduated. 

Congrats!

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all I got my card converted. I hate that I did not do this in the beginning but oh well that's the past. 

I will have to wait until February before I start to use it though.  Fortunately and unfortunately I do not see a problem  racking up the cash back rewards for the Double cash back reward in July! 

Screenshot_439.png

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.