Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Graduate or No : (

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Graduate or No : (

Let me say first I have been a lurker of this site for hours at a time every single day for the last year. I have gained so much knowledge reading about your experiences, your struggles and your triumphs! So for all of that I say a geniune thank you!

Now, for my question. I obtained a Discover secured card in early August of 2017 with a $200 deposit. Over the last 8-9 months I have made many, many (small due to the credit line) purchases and pay in full each month. I have always made sure the statement cut with $0 balance - except this time on purpose - more on that in a minute. I make several payments in a month to ensure that I'm never ever late and I pay more than the minimum. Well I've been waiting for my card to graduate since March which was my 7th month...nothing. I hoped it would happen in April...nothing. Well here we are in May and I'm feeling really confident because my Navy Federal card which I secured with a $600 deposit graduated on the exact day my 5th statement cut with a CLI to $2000 - what made it even better is it happened on my birthday! Smiley Happy

So today my Discover statement cut. I purposely let $40 report in hopes of making them happy / getting their attention or something and when I got the notification on my app this morning logged in I see no increase, so I clicked the CLI link to see if I would see anything different...and I did!!! It was on a page where it asked for a verification code. I was soooo excited, perhaps a little too quickly because it was "stuck" on that page just spinning for at least 4 minutes and then it went away. Every since then when I click the link I get the same old call us to make a deposit to increase the limit of your secured card. Smiley Sad

Not being one to give up, I immediately got on chat and asked, very nicely, did I get secured because I clicked the link and was asked for code, etc. The rep checked and said you're still secured we've been having some issues with certain messages going out in error - but you can still call us to make a deposit. Boo.

Once again, I've learned so much from reading this site and I read a lot about being patient, getting in and staying in the garden, and just let time take care of everything else. I think I've mastered everything I've learned from you all except that part! LOL!

So what do you think? Is my account going through the graduation process right this moment and I just don't know it? Or should I buckle up and prepare to ride this out another month or two or ten?

Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Graduate or No : (

Awesome job with Navy, what a great bday giftSmiley Happy. Discover is hard to gauge at times. Some graduate early some not so much. Sometimes playing the pay before statement cuts isnt really necessary. So long as you pay before the due date you are good. Unfortunately there's not much you can do to force a graduation but stay the course it'll come eventuallySmiley Happy
Message 2 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Op:

You wouldnt happen to know your TU FICO score would you? 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only score I have is what Discover gives me and this month I was at 639
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update!

I’ve graduated with a CLI! My new credit limit is $2000! I am sooooo happy right now!
Message 5 of 12
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The only score I have is what Discover gives me and this month I was at 639

Aaaaand.. thats exactly what I was curious about... Seeing Discover cards tend to graduate at or above 630+ TU......(and btw Discover gives you a real TU FICO score in your account)  If you want another CRA's FICO score, sign up for Discovers Credit Scorecard.... (For me Credit Scorecard reports an EX (Experian) score) 

Congratulations....

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! : )

Message 8 of 12
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Hoping mine graduates this month, it didn't last month. My TU score is currently at 629, way way behind the others for some weird reason.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the graduation!! I have 2 months left before I reach my 7th statement and TU is holding at 640 lol. We shall see.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.