Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Grocery Cashback

tag
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover Grocery Cashback

@Anonymous wrote:

@fatcomic This might have to do with when Disco rewards bonuses. I think they update them when your statement cuts. So you may have to wait until this month's statement to validate that it was credited properly.

Worst case you can reach out via chat and have them look into it. 

The bonus cash gets applied once a month on the statement date, however you can usually keep track of the progress under the cashback calendar.  My 1/3/21 grocery purchase is now showing in the progress bar. 

Message 11 of 25
lyTENciL
Regular Contributor

Gift cards do work - I've purchased many kinds in different categories last year.

I'm having the same problem with my 1/1 grocery purchase only showing 1% in tracker. These were actual groceries no gift cards. Category was activated. Chat with rep recommended I wait for statement to cut then follow up if rewards are still not correct. The tracker has always been accurate in the past, so I expect I will need to follow up.

FICO (12/22): EX8 838. TU8 826. EQ9 837.
Profile: Clean/thick/aged/new. Revolvers: 7 open, 1 closed. 1 Install.
AoOA/RA 20y. AAoA 4.5y. AoYA/RA 6m. TCL $128.3K.
Message 12 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@fatcomic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fatcomic This might have to do with when Disco rewards bonuses. I think they update them when your statement cuts. So you may have to wait until this month's statement to validate that it was credited properly.

Worst case you can reach out via chat and have them look into it. 

The bonus cash gets applied once a month on the statement date, however you can usually keep track of the progress under the cashback calendar.  My 1/3/21 grocery purchase is now showing in the progress bar. 

As another data point, my $10.24 purchase at Kroger on 1/3/2021 is also already reflected in the rewards progress bar:

DiscoJanuary.png

Message 13 of 25
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does buying visa gift cards qualify for cashback? I made a purchase on the weekend, but it only showed 1% instead of 5%. 

My $101.56 purchase at Shaw's on Saturday 1/2 included a (discounted) $100 Visa Gift Card and is showing on my tracker as having earned 5%.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, my deal was activated when I checked and replied last week.

Since then, some money has shown up in the Tracker.  I haven't had the time yet to see if the math is accurate.  The Tracker is helpful during the last month to see how close you are to maxing out.

Net net, Discover seems to be at least a few days behind in processing and updating the Tracker.  Perhaps they wait until the transaction settles before awarding cashback.

Message 15 of 25
lyTENciL
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since then, some money has shown up in the Tracker.  I haven't had the time yet to see if the math is accurate.  The Tracker is helpful during the last month to see how close you are to maxing out.

Net net, Discover seems to be at least a few days behind in processing and updating the Tracker.  Perhaps they wait until the transaction settles before awarding cashback.

Once your transaction posts, in the app, if you tap on the transaction you can view details which include the amount of cash back earned on that transaction. Makes it much easier to figure out if rewards are properly allocated.

My statement cuts today so I'll talk to a rep and report back here. This transaction used Apple Pay, which might be the culprit for the discrepancy. I've avoided it for subsequent transactions at the grocery store, and all have earned rewards properly. Edit: including gift card purchases, OP.

Message 16 of 25
lyTENciL
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous 

I did need to reach back out to Discover support (chat) to have the rewards amount corrected. I suspect my issue was due to using Apple Pay at checkout, but perhaps it was because it occurred on the 1st and there was a system update issue on Disco's end. 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

No mobile app for me.  I only need to visit the web site every month for my statement.

My tracker though is up to date with recent purchases, so perhaps the original poster's delay was just due to the start of the new quarter.

I always use Google Pay - never yet had a bonus category issue with Discover or other cards when used through Google Pay, knock on wood.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lyTENciL wrote:

@Anonymous 

I did need to reach back out to Discover support (chat) to have the rewards amount corrected. I suspect my issue was due to using Apple Pay at checkout, but perhaps it was because it occurred on the 1st and there was a system update issue on Disco's end. 

Mine was also on 1/1 and paid directly with my card. It must be a system error on Discover's end.

When you talk to their support, would they correct the amount right away or they need to create a case for it? I am currently on the last month of "cash back match" promotional period. I hope this would not create too many issues for Discover to match my cashback for that purchase.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, the tracker is very helpful, but my purchase on 1/1 is still showing as 1%. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.