Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Habbits?

tag
joeyh2007
New Contributor

Discover Habbits?

Recently I wrote about my CLI on Discover from $1500 to $5000. Well, I already had to use that card for a big purchase as the recent cold weather in NYC brought out a serious engine problem im my car. So thankfully I was able to get my old car to Westchester county to buy a new car, but I had to drop $4000 in a down payment on my Discover. So my question is how does Discover respond to large purchases that may take 3-6 months to pay off? I can pay that charge off in the mentioned time frame, but I am merely curious to know if Discover has taken AA on anybody who has taken a couple months to pay off a larger purchase.

Perhaps its neurotic to ask, but I've been working very hard to get to 700, and I don't want CLs cut or anything else to set me back. 

BTW, my car loan is $24K at 4.5% curteousy of TD Auto Finance (moving on up in the credit world.)

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Business: Chase Ink Cash World Mastercard: $5000

In my SD: CapOne $3000
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Habbits?

Just make large payments as you mention!
I actually charged a $2000 car related item on my Amex BCE last month an no aa yet! Consider this though:

How much will your new auto loan affect your dti?

This new auto loan could prevent Discover from offering a future cli.

Good luck :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 19
dodgeball
Established Contributor

The fact of the matter is that credit card companies give these lines of credit to use. If you max a credit card and make min payments than that is cause for concern. But if you put on 5k on a card in a month and pay it off under six months credit card companies will love you. Dont worry enjoy your new car.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 3 of 19
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

Recently I wrote about my CLI on Discover from $1500 to $5000. Well, I already had to use that card for a big purchase as the recent cold weather in NYC brought out a serious engine problem im my car. So thankfully I was able to get my old car to Westchester county to buy a new car, but I had to drop $4000 in a down payment on my Discover. So my question is how does Discover respond to large purchases that may take 3-6 months to pay off? I can pay that charge off in the mentioned time frame, but I am merely curious to know if Discover has taken AA on anybody who has taken a couple months to pay off a larger purchase.

Perhaps its neurotic to ask, but I've been working very hard to get to 700, and I don't want CLs cut or anything else to set me back. 

BTW, my car loan is $24K at 4.5% curteousy of TD Auto Finance (moving on up in the credit world.)

Guys they are giving us these credit lines because they want us to use them, they love to make interest off of us.... people should NOT worry about carrying a balance for a few months at a time....

From what I seen what they HATE is when people make late payments, or when people charge their cards to the max, make a few hundread dollar payment and then max it out again...  this shows the creditor that you have no safety net and are basically living off their card from day to day.... in this case when something bad happens people walk away from the cards because they don't have any other choice...

so don't make late payments and continually max out your cards and you don't really have to worry about AA

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 19
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

In your sig is says you have a Citi Sig Visa with a 2k limit, how did that happen?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 19
joeyh2007
New Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@joeyh2007 wrote:

In your sig is says you have a Citi Sig Visa with a 2k limit, how did that happen?

To answer....Citi apparently offers Visa Sig with $2k. I asked the executive office why not $5k and she could only say she is not aware of what other banks do, but Citi can offer it at a CL of their choice. I'm not complaining since I actually do use the concierge service in NYC.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Message 6 of 19
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@joeyh2007 wrote:

To answer....Citi apparently offers Visa Sig with $2k. I asked the executive office why not $5k and she could only say she is not aware of what other banks do, but Citi can offer it at a CL of their choice. I'm not complaining since I actually do use the concierge service in NYC.

You got lucky on that one, a requirement of visa sig is 5k line, I've never heard of anyone that had one with less...  

Message 7 of 19
joeyh2007
New Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@joeyh2007 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@joeyh2007 wrote:

You got lucky on that one, a requirement of visa sig is 5k line, I've never heard of anyone that had one with less...  

I saw someone else on the forum with the same scenario....I guess Citi does this with a few others.

Message 8 of 19
joeyh2007
New Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Just make large payments as you mention!
I actually charged a $2000 car related item on my Amex BCE last month an no aa yet! Consider this though:

How much will your new auto loan affect your dti?

This new auto loan could prevent Discover from offering a future cli.

Good luck :-)

This car loan payment is $75 more than my previous car loan and I've seriously lowered my credit card debt recently so dti should stay the same in terms of my monthly obligations.

Message 9 of 19
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

I don't have a Discover, but with my NFCU cashRewards it hasn't been a problem. I got it in September and triggered the 1.5% rewards by the end of October ($10,000+ in purchases on it) by paying school tuition and putting my Lasik surgery on it. I quickly paid it down prior to the statement cutting, and as far as I can tell, NFCU didn't even blink. Like others have said - the credit limit is set where it is for a reason, don't hesitate to use it if you can be responisible about paying it down in a timely fashion.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.