Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT 5% Cashback for Grocery Stores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT 5% Cashback for Grocery Stores

I have a new Discover IT (my first time ever with Discover), and I have a couple of questions about how the 5% Cashback category works for Groceries.

1. Are taxable non-food items excluded? I often buy cleaning supplies, pet food, personal care stuff, flowers, etc at grocery stores.

2. Are a grocery store's own gift cards excluded? For several years I've been buying a $300 gift card at Whole Foods, on the 1st of each month, and using that card and my receipt balance as a way to keep on budget throughout the month.

The other day I bought strawberries together with a new $10 Whole Foods gift card at the WF store and paid with my Disco IT, as a test to see how it would break down on my online statement. The transaction at WF shows up, but no specific break-down of items.

Message 1 of 82
81 REPLIES 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT 5% Cashback for Grocery Stores

I don't have an It card (yet) but there should be a way to review your rewards balance. If it doesn't show you how much a specific transaction earned, it should at least show your total. From there do a small transaction and pay attention to the change in the CB total.

But generally everything should count. It goes by the merchant code at checkout not by what specific items you buy.

Since you already buy gift cards, I'd ensure that they're earning the full cash back, then at the end of the quarter prepay out the rest of the $1500 limit in gift cards for the grocery store (especially since you're in year 1 and get 10% back). If you spend $300/mo on groceries, you should be able to cover this entire quarter plus 2 months of the next quarter (5 months of gift cards at $300/ea = $1500).
Message 2 of 82
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Everything you pay for with Discover at a grocery store should earn the extra cash back, even the sales tax. 

The only thing that doesn't earn cash back is if you use the 'cash over' feature to get cash back at the register (in which case the 'cash over' part doesn't count); everything else should work.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the store, not the product that counts.  At a pure grocery store, every purchase should count at 5% (except, as has been noted, cash-over).

An open question is whether Walmart stores (and Target, Meijer, etc.) will count as grocery stores for the Discover 5%.  The terms of the deal certainly give them leeway to exclude all such stores: "Grocery purchases made at convenience stores, gas stations, warehouse clubs, supercenters, discount stores (or at grocery stores associated with supercenters or discount stores) are not eligible."  But even with similar language on other cards, I've had mixed results.  From what I've heard, AmEx strictly treats Walmart and the like as *not* grocery.  For Visa/MC, my general experience has always been that it follows the MCC coding for the store; if the store codes as MCC 5411, it will count as grocery, otherwise it will not.  For Walmart and Target, that's a store-by-store issue.  Typically the traditional (going back over 10 years now) Walmart/Target which was a discount store with just a couple aisles devoted to snacks and limited grocery items, those stores code as discount.  The Walmart/Target stores which were built from the ground up as complete grocery stores (as most are now) typically code as grocery (5411), and thus do count as grocery for Visa/MC cards which offer extra cashback for grocery.  The exception to that rule has been Chase, which specifically excludes Walmart and Target from the grocery category, no matter how it codes.

As for Discover, the only grocery bonus experience I've had with them dates back to 2011, and in that case, at least the Walmart stores I went to, did not count for 5%.

You can bet I'll be hitting Walmart with my Discover card tomorrow for some test transactions. Smiley Happy

Chris.

Message 4 of 82
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:

It's the store, not the product that counts.  At a pure grocery store, every purchase should count at 5% (except, as has been noted, cash-over).

An open question is whether Walmart stores (and Target, Meijer, etc.) will count as grocery stores for the Discover 5%.  The terms of the deal certainly give them leeway to exclude all such stores: "Grocery purchases made at convenience stores, gas stations, warehouse clubs, supercenters, discount stores (or at grocery stores associated with supercenters or discount stores) are not eligible."  But even with similar language on other cards, I've had mixed results.  From what I've heard, AmEx strictly treats Walmart and the like as *not* grocery.  For Visa/MC, my general experience has always been that it follows the MCC coding for the store; if the store codes as MCC 5411, it will count as grocery, otherwise it will not.  For Walmart and Target, that's a store-by-store issue.  Typically the traditional (going back over 10 years now) Walmart/Target which was a discount store with just a couple aisles devoted to snacks and limited grocery items, those stores code as discount.  The Walmart/Target stores which were built from the ground up as complete grocery stores (as most are now) typically code as grocery (5411), and thus do count as grocery for Visa/MC cards which offer extra cashback for grocery.  The exception to that rule has been Chase, which specifically excludes Walmart and Target from the grocery category, no matter how it codes.

As for Discover, the only grocery bonus experience I've had with them dates back to 2011, and in that case, at least the Walmart stores I went to, did not count for 5%.

You can bet I'll be hitting Walmart with my Discover card tomorrow for some test transactions. Smiley Happy

Chris.

I know it can vary from location to location (based on the things you already mentioned) but I'm still looking forward to hearing how Discover works out for you this quarter! 

Be sure to let us know how those test transactions go!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I love the way you budget for groceries using a prepaid gift card.

Awesome!

Message 6 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do most of my grocery shopping either at Walmart (which has a Supercenter with a complete supermarket down the road from me) or Food Lion, a regional (Southern U.S.) chain. Actually, has anyone asked Discover directly if purchases made from the grocery section of Walmart will count for the 5%? I get my prescriptions at Harris Teeter (a brand of the Kroger chain), and I think that when I picked up some fairly pricey prescriptions (insulin for type II diabetes plus supplies) there last year and paid with my older Discover during the 5% cash back period, it went into the 5% CB category.

This will be important to find out since I might be putting up to $750-$800 through my new Discover during the April-June period and I want to make sure I don't buy groceries at places that won't generate the 5%.

Message 7 of 82
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@UncleBwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Chris.

I know it can vary from location to location (based on the things you already mentioned) but I'm still looking forward to hearing how Discover works out for you this quarter! 

Be sure to let us know how those test transactions go!  Smiley Happy

The thing is Discover doesn't give any breakdown of how much any single transaction earned for rewards. You only get a very basic breakdown on the statement of 5% rewards = $X.xx, 1% Everything = $X.xx. So you won't know how much a Walmart (or any) transaction earned, unless you can figure it out from the statement summary. But in my experience my local Walmart codes as grocery on Barclays Visa/MC, but not Amex or Disco.

For all their other issues, that's one area where Barclays is ahead of the competition as it lists the rewards detail for every transaction, Amex & Discover only give you lump sum statement summaries.

Message 8 of 82
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

OP, you need to do your own test transactions at the exact stores you hope to use for groceries.  Don't rely on the reports of others here in the forum because what works at their store might now work at your store.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 82
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@DaveinAZ

Amex breaks down the rewards into individual charges you just have to go to the points summary and then click on activity. It will give you a list of each card on your account including AU for each statement, if you click it. It will show you each charge and what multiplier was used.

Discover is very basic, but once a charge posts it will tell you the merchant category

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.