Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT 5% Cashback for Grocery Stores

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT 5% Cashback for Grocery Stores

Any idea about Fred Meyers. AX treats them as a supercenter. Wondering about Discover.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 21 of 82
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@morgacj2004wrote:
Any idea about Fred Meyers. AX treats them as a supercenter. Wondering about Discover.

As the Doctor of Credit would say:  be your own data point.  And tell us what you find out.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 22 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to ask about gift cards as well..  Ask people to trade you cash for  gift cards lol

Any purchase at a grocery store. It's not like EBT that cares what exactly it is you are purchasing. That's any card.

The only thing that might not count is gas from grocery chains like Stop&Shop. I have that problem with Amex.. it's not considered a gas station if it's owned or connected to a retail store.

Some of my Starbucks purchases showed up as a grocery store. I forget which ones. I think its when I reload my Starbucks card via mobile ap. I have to check my statement.

Message 23 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes there are $5 or so coupons for Walmart in their Discover Deals if you order online and pick up in store. That's about all I've seen for Walmart but I don't shop there often.

Message 24 of 82
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Ok, so I was looking through my statements, and Kroger, Meijer and Target all coded as "Supermarket". Walmart coded as "Merchandise". The category name for the quarter is "Grocery Stores". According to Discover, I have never shopped at anything with that card that codes as "Grocery Store".

I'm very confused. Is Kroger not the poster child for a "grocery store"?

Message 25 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZwrote:
Thanks for the tip on Amex, still figuring out all the tricks. I don't recall Disco giving you the merchant category, I'll check again

They do. They changed their website recently. I'm not liking it.

Go to:
Current statement
Then click on "Sort By" and "Catagory" will be an option.

Message 26 of 82
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kilroy8wrote:

Ok, so I was looking through my statements, and Kroger, Meijer and Target all coded as "Supermarket". Walmart coded as "Merchandise". The category name for the quarter is "Grocery Stores". According to Discover, I have never shopped at anything with that card that codes as "Grocery Store".

I'm very confused. Is Kroger not the poster child for a "grocery store"?

Ok, so when going into the search by category on Discover's site, there is no "Grocery Store" category. Supermarket is the closest thing. Maybe Kroger, Meijer and Target will all count, since they code as supermarket.

Message 27 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those of you looking at the category shown online or on a statement for Discover purchases, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. In my experience, that category designation is worthless for determining 5% eligibility. I've had that confirmed to me by a CSR when I called about missing 5% cashback on a purchase that showed on my statement as the exact category that should qualify. I was told that category designation comes from an entirely different classification system than what determines the 5%. Of course, she went ahead and credited the extra cashback manually. I've also had the opposite happen; when Discover was 5% on restaurants, I made a purchase at a sit-down restaurant and Discover confusingly showed the category as "Supermarket". But when my statement was cut I got the 5% on that transaction, so somewhere in discover's system the merchant was properly classified, just not the displayed category.

Chris.
Message 28 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you have to double click the charges after you get to the catagory page.

Apparently this is how they get you. Look in the box on the right.

supermarket.jpg

Message 29 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's unfortunate. Basically there's no way to know if a purchase will be credited toward the 5% Cashback categories.
Message 30 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.