Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT - APR reduced to 19.24%

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover IT - APR reduced to 19.24%

I understand the FRS nature of the congratulations, but does this have a practical impact?  19.24%, while better than 21.99%, is still a nasty APR to be carrying a balance with.   If all your other cards are worse, then yes, congratulations!

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:
Congrats - have to try this myself as well. My APR with them is 21.99 as well, definitely needs to come down as they're the highest in my wallet.

Thanks . I can give you a tip that may work for you . While i contacted CSR via chat every 3-4 days , the only time the reduced APR offer was available , was 3-4 days after the statement  cut . Perhaps you can check with them during the same period .  Best of luck for your APR reduction .

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

I understand the FRS nature of the congratulations, but does this have a practical impact?  19.24%, while better than 21.99%, is still a nasty APR to be carrying a balance with.   If all your other cards are worse, then yes, congratulations!

Well i do not carry balances on any of my cards . Discover is the one that has the highest APR of my cards even after this reduction . Most of my other cards has APR around 13.99% except for freedom and Discover . Even though i am not carrying balances , a APR of 21.99% does look very high on a card and hence my quest to reduce APR . My ultimate aim is to have no cards that are more than 15% APR  with the exception of freedom as I don't think chase is going to budge on APR reduction .

Thanks .

Message 13 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:
Congrats - have to try this myself as well. My APR with them is 21.99 as well, definitely needs to come down as they're the highest in my wallet.

Thanks . I can give you a tip that may work for you . While i contacted CSR via chat every 3-4 days , the only time the reduced APR offer was available , was 3-4 days after the statement  cut . Perhaps you can check with them during the same period .  Best of luck for your APR reduction .

Good to know. I'll try that timing after the September 20ish statement.

As another reference point, although one that will be (hopefully) quite rare, my experience with Discover included getting a 12-month temporary CLI from $5k to $8k, which meant the CL had a Credit Line Decrease in May 2015 from $8k to $5k. When I called Discover in mid-July to ask about getting an APR reduction, they said they could not do it, and to wait for the letter explaining why.

In the letter, the reason for not granting the APR reduction was that it was less than 4 months from getting a CLD. Hopefully no one has a Discover CLD on their horizon, but there you go Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.