cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Possible Approval w/ NO Credit????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Possible Approval w/ NO Credit????

I have no credit history on file at all and was searching for a good secured card.  I recently applied with Capital One and received $49 deposit offer, but felt I needed at least 2.  I learned that Discover has a secured card, but you must apply for the regular card first and hope for a secured card offer.  I applied 2 days ago and received a message to wait 5-7 days.  I figured DENIED and NO offer.  Today, I decided to check the status anyway and a site pops up asking me to provide them additional documents.  It gives me different types of documents that will be accepted like; state id, ss card, w2 form, utility bill etc... 

I am pretty excited I wasn't just flat out denied for their unsecured card.  Is it even possible that after they review my documents they could actually approve me for a card?  I am wondering if this is a fluke or something.  When I say I have NO credit history I mean nothing but my personal information and a few inquiry's are on my file.  Anyone have a similar situation and was approved or denied?

Thanks

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT Possible Approval w/ NO Credit????

With no credit history you have no chance for a normal Discover approval, but as you say they might counter with an offer of a secured. It doesn't seem to happen very often, but I've seen reports here and there.

Message 2 of 20
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

It is definitely promising that they are asking for more info.
EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that Discover apps often go well for people with thin files and very limited credit histories--they seem to like being one of your first cards. *No* credit history might be different from little credit history in that regard, but who knows! Good luck, sounds like there's a possibility it could be good news.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I thought that too, but we might both be wrong.  After I posted my question I began googling "Discover It Approval No Credit" and it seems that more than a few people with completely blank credit histories are being approved for this unsecured card.  Some people instant and others having to submit docs like me.  Credit limits seem to be on the low side of course ($500-$1200).   I guess we will see...I will of course update once I get a decision from them.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, there's a difference between thin and non-existant. I got in with Discover from a thin credit file (immigrant), but when I first started out applying (with no credit history whatsoever - anywhere) I got denied left and right. Then I educated myself, got a secured card for a year, and doors started to open.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could request to be put on a family member's card as an authorized user for awhile, til you get a score, then app later. Worked wonders for my nephew, who got a Cap One QS1 with a $3k limit, when his only reporting account was a $10k visa he was an AU on. Took about 6 months, if I remember right.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am an AU on my husband credit card and have been for years.  It does me no good credit history wise because they don't report at all.  The only other option I have is my son who is in college.  He hasn't had a hard time obtaining credit since he is in college.  He was able to get his first card the same month he graduated high school (May 2015).  He has offered to add me as an AU to his accounts, but I don't know how much it would help me.  This would give me 6-7 months history, but he isn't as diligent as I would be about keeping his balance low.  It doesn't bother him if he maxes out his card and lets it report to the bureaus.  He never pays late. He pays a couple of payments each month, but he racks up the charges right away again.  I was thinking I could make an agreement with him that as a Thank you for allowing me as an AU I will help pay his balance down.  He just uses his card for everyday needs like school supplies, clothing and food.  I have no problem helping him with those expenses anyway.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it was my first card with no credit history. Fingers crossed for ya!

Message 9 of 20
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

My husband applied 4 times and got denied. The 5th time he got instant approval. Fingers crossed for you. Gl
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.