Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Secured Card

Has anyone ever had the Discover IT Secured Card? If so, what was your experience like? I was countered with that after being denied for the student card.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover IT Secured Card

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=foru...

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 13
LadyVee
Regular Contributor

I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Discover It secured card. Just waiting for mine to graduate to unsecured.

Starting Score: 485 (CK TU)
Current Score: 698 (TU FICO); 685 (EX FICO) 687 (EQ FICO)
Goal Scores: 750 (TU FICO); 750 (EX FICO); 750 (EQ FICO)

Current Cards:
AMEX Gold: NPSL, AMEX BCE: 1000, BARCLAY APPLE: 2000, CITI DC: 2250, CHASE CSP: 7400, CAP1 SAVOR: 12000, CAP1 VENTURE: 10000, CAP1 QS: 6500, CAP1 QS1: 3300,
DISC IT: 1400, MERRICK: 2200, PAYPAL CREDIT: 3000,
US BANK CASH+: 5000, WALMART: 5000, TARGET MC: 4000, ANN TAYLOR: 6000, VS: 6000, EXPRESS: 5000, NY&CO: 4000, SMILE GEN: 1500
Message 3 of 13
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@LadyVee wrote:
I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Discover It secured card. Just waiting for mine to graduate to unsecured.

Many have posted the same experience.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone ever had the Discover IT Secured Card? If so, what was your experience like? I was countered with that after being denied for the student card.

SO got offered the secured last year for not having enough history. Took it with only a $200 deposit. You can change the secured from a "chrome" to an "it" whenever you want just by calling and get the different rewards. It will stay secured for 12 months though, time in which you won’t be able to increase your initial deposit. In July, the card hit the 12 month mark and discover sent a check for $200. No automatic CLI though after the card became unsecured, still stuck at $200 so I hit the luv button on the website and got a 500 CLI on the spot. Will probably use the button again in 6 months’ time.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now Discover allows you to add additional deposits up to $2500. I've only had mine a few months, but I plan to add to it so when it unsecures then hopefully I will get a higher starting limit.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine should unsecure in about 5 more weeks, and I am a big fan. Adding to the CL was easy. Call in, they pull funds, 8 days later new line.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there,

I was approved for  secured Discover on 6/10/2015. after my original applicatiion for unsecured for denied.  So far I am in loving the card so much. I pay my bill in full every month and dont use but 20.00  a month out of 200.00  CL I like the cash bouns I just earned cash bonus for last month  and it cool. DIscover  card is the best card out theses days. I am so glad to have it. I just recently open a Cashback Checking With Discover   so far so good. I love to see everybody get in  like  I did. It make me happy.

I am glad  Discover is my home now. I hope everybody does too.

Message 8 of 13
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

I just received my Discover secured card this week.  I love it.  The customer service has been outstanding the couple of times I have called and chatted.  I just called to make sure I was signed up for the double cashback.  Once I got off the phone with them, I read this post and saw that I may be able to PC from Chrome to IT.  The IT would definitely match my spending better so I jumped on chat and the rep was able to change it easily.  I am excited about being able to participate in the 5% cashback categories and earn the double cashback. 

I also did the minimum deposit, but I will be upping it next month.  They said I just had to call with the deposit information and my account should reflect the increase about a week after that.  I do hope to max out the secured limit prior to the one year mark / graduation.

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a good start. It puts you "inside the door" with them. Soon, you have unsecured

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.