Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT balance txfer

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover IT balance txfer

Also op is prime candidate for large cli later as Disco often like people who carry huge balance so i wouldnt be suprised op gets a 3-4k increase down the roadSmiley Wink
Message 11 of 17
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Its almost always better to not mix bt and purchases. However, and some Disco cards has this as does mine, there are 0% Promo apr on Purchases and 0% Bt promos at same time so you could still make purchases on it if you wanted to. Just pay it off when statement cuts.

Discover’s 18 month 0% BT card has a 6 month 0% intro purchase APR, their regular non-BT card has 14 months 0% for both. I had to go check. It’s still best not to throw any charges on it though. Payments may go to the wrong balance, I don’t feel like digging through the terms. 

Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Also op is prime candidate for large cli later as Disco often like people who carry huge balance so i wouldnt be suprised op gets a 3-4k increase down the roadSmiley Wink

Yeah I agree completely. Might even be more than that. 

Message 13 of 17
Highlighted
Epic Contributor

Its almost always better to not mix bt and purchases. However, and some Disco cards has this as does mine, there are 0% Promo apr on Purchases and 0% Bt promos at same time so you could still make purchases on it if you wanted to. Just pay it off when statement cuts.

+1` I was just going to comment, you beat me to the punch. I Have 0% Purchase and 0% BT on New Disco it.

so its mix and match.

0% BT, 0% on Purchases, 5% Cash Back Gas plus Cash Match at end of 1 year. (cash Match only on purchases)

popcorn eating emoticon.gif

Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
Valued Member

I just checked and my intro offer is 0% apr on balances for a year and also 0% BT. So, I'm just going to pay everything down and not use the card until I at least pay off the balance. Thanks for all the great info.
Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Monijah wrote:
I'm new to Discover and this is my first balance txfer. My cl was 6500 and I transferred 5000 at 0% interest for 18 mos. If I don't use the card for purchases and just work to pay off this balance for a year does that count as inactivity. I don't want them to think I'm a risk with my utilization that high but I also don't want to not use the card either. I'm not familiar with Discover so not sure how exactly to balance getting down my balance and using the card to eventually grow with them and hopefully get cli in the future. Any insight or advice on how to manage my newly acquired Discover would be appreciated.

Are you sure it’s for 18 mos? If yes, kudos to you! I thought the 18 mos BT was 5.99% and 12 mos was 0%. 

Your payments are considered acticity, so you’re good. 

I agree with @Saeren, work on getting the outstanding balance down—no new purchases. 

DEC 2019: EX 816, TU 820, EQ 810
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macy's $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || Apple Card $6.5K ||
Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Now this is really good to know @AJC. Thanks. Because as soon as my Disco BT balance is under 8.9% (now at ~27%), I’m looking for another big CLI. Well praying for one anyway 😂

DEC 2019: EX 816, TU 820, EQ 810
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macy's $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || Apple Card $6.5K ||
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.