Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT card graduation

tag
Bronk33
Established Member

Discover IT card graduation

I've had my secured discover card for 13-14 months now. 
I've used it, always paid it off, never went over limit, no late payments, basically perfect. Even when I called today to inquire they said the account was perfect. 
All of my other accounts are 0-3% utilization also. 
But they still haven't graduated me. Every time I call or chat, I get the same canned message that they automatically check for graduation on the 28th of each month. 
When I called today, the customer rep seemed baffled that my account was so good and hasn't been graduated. 

Anyone else have this issue with Discover or know of any tips to get the card graduated?

Starting Score: 545
Current Score:690
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT card graduation

It's just a waiting game. And maybe an even more drawn out waiting game given the current skittishness of lenders. 

You don't mention any details of your current credit profile though. Scores?  Have they increased?  New accounts?  New derogatory marks?  Old derogatory marks?  A lot more than just X months passing goes into graduation decisions. 

Message 2 of 15
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

@Bronk33 wrote:

I've used it, always paid it off, never went over limit, no late payments, basically perfect. Even when I called today to inquire they said the account was perfect. 
But they still haven't graduated me. Every time I call or chat, I get the same canned message that they automatically check for graduation on the 28th of each month. 
When I called today, the customer rep seemed baffled that my account was so good and hasn't been graduated. 

Anyone else have this issue with Discover or know of any tips to get the card graduated?

Don't feel bad OP, I'm going on OVER 2 yrs and still hasn't graduated. I've gotten some great cards and STILL no graduation.🙄 I even pulled off an Amex Card-and still nothing. Ms. Disco is very hard to read. I've done all the stunts and jump threw many hoops to get this card to graduate. It is now SD'd. Done! 

Good luck OP. I hope you have better luck👍🤞

I❤️NY

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 3 of 15
Applepro1990
Regular Contributor

I agree with Brooklyn I had my discover card for a little over two years and it never graduated. I suppose it was because I opened other accounts. At any rate I closed it because it no longer suited my needs. I would just wait patiently since it doesn't have an AF.

Starting Score: 650
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Total Credit limits $108,800
Message 4 of 15
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Brooklyn2018 

Miss Disco is not the most understandable person, but If you HP's are accurate, and your scores are accurate, I kinda think i have an idea whats stalling it, along with the pandemic making most creditors tightening the purse strings and upping the needed scores for an unsecured app ergo, possibly upping the scores required to graduate... Know its a PITA but i do think your close to graduating if there wasn't a pandemic.

When are some of your inquiries due to fall off..  also have you tried their prequal lately.... (yes i know you have a secured card, but some folks are approved for an unsecured card .. one doesnt block out the other (unless the secured card is under a year old usually)...

I'm thinking Miss Disco pulled a Lucy on you... know when Charlie Brown goes to kick the football and she pulls it away....

Yeah thinking Miss Disco moved the goalposts on you... 

She wants a little more attention and a little less competition....  those 23, 25,27 HP looks like your seeking credit... when are some of them gonna fall off? 

Can you put a sub on it with autopay?

Just a few thoughts...

-J

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to add my experience as well, my 21st statement posted today and still no graduation. I gave up expecting to see it happen to be honest.

Message 6 of 15
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous 

Have you tried a prequalify?

You can have the secured card and get approved for a unsecured one.. You get the approval, then you close the secured one...

Its long over the 1 year minimum for apping for an unsecured card.. 

-J

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I was checking the prequal every other month or so, it always came back with no offers. The last time I checked was probably three months ago. I was thinking at the end of the year to just close the card and get my $200 back, and then a couple months later check the prequal again (like maybe they don't want to give me more than one card at a time and that's why there's no offers but idk) 

Message 8 of 15
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@Brooklyn2018 

Miss Disco is not the most understandable person, but If you HP's are accurate, and your scores are accurate, I kinda think i have an idea whats stalling it, along with the pandemic making most creditors tightening the purse strings and upping the needed scores for an unsecured app ergo, possibly upping the scores required to graduate... Know its a PITA but i do think your close to graduating if there wasn't a pandemic.

When are some of your inquiries due to fall off..  also have you tried their prequal lately.... (yes i know you have a secured card, but some folks are approved for an unsecured card .. one doesnt block out the other (unless the secured card is under a year old usually)...

I'm thinking Miss Disco pulled a Lucy on you... know when Charlie Brown goes to kick the football and she pulls it away....

Yeah thinking Miss Disco moved the goalposts on you... 

She wants a little more attention and a little less competition....  those 23, 25,27 HP looks like your seeking credit... when are some of them gonna fall off? 

Can you put a sub on it with autopay?

Just a few thoughts...

-J

I tried the prequal and nothing. I was saving my next hp for Amex which I got approved for. I'm sure the economic climate plays a role but the inquiries where from car shopping-I was done dirty by a dealership-I asked them to only run 3 lenders of my choice and they ignored that request and shotgunned my app. I was furious to say the least and cancelled the contract. Went with Navy. ONE phone call and DONE. No POI either. Should have called Saul!🤣

Before the pandemic...I tried EVERYTHING! Sorry 😐 should have stated that. I'll wait it out...and...I think you're right @joltdude @it's probably the scores accompanied by the inq's. No collections. 3 CO(1 paid/1 settled less/1 unpaid all 4.5yrs+) Still have old Child Support catching up on-stings but not that bad if I'm in with Amex, IMHO. Everything else never missed a payment and ULT 25% and decreasing every month(BT MORERewards 1.9%)

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 9 of 15
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

@Bronk33 wrote:

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your post.

IMHO, I'm really in no rush, especially within these unsure times. We just need to keep doing what we're doing. Keep payments on time, utilization down, work on our baddies/profile and stay healthy. I'm not stressing just because Miss Disco hasn't graduated me. It'll happen when it happens. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my labor from my rebuild and show how much more responsible I can be to ALL my lenders. That's the name of the game...slow and steady wins the race.

Good Luck OP👍🤞

...and thanks @joltdude !!! 😉

I❤️NY

>

I❤️NY
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.