Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT card issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT card issue

my wife opened her discover card 2 weeks ago she used it maybe 3 times now today when she tried to log into her account it was locked she called 800-347-4996  and they advised her they tried to call her yesterday ( they didnt ) and she needs to fax in an ssa form they refered to it as documents not sure what will be i the letter  which they sent out in the mail yesterday  she was told. is  this normal? will it effect her account in anyway or her credit report? thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover IT card issue

Sounds like a possible fraud issue or her card was used fraudently and they want to confirm shes is the owner of account. I know when my card was discovered, lol, to have been used somewhere there may have been a breach. They proactively closed it and reissued me another. Hope you can update us on any additional info.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

they didnt mention anything about a new card being issued, they just said they needed to verify her account maybe because when they called they claim her voicemail said it was full? but she never received a call from them yesterday so im not sure what that was about

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with AJC, it sounds like they may fear some sort of fraud happening. Can your wife call back and speak with a supervisor instead of a front line credit analysis? 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok my wife called and asked to speak with a supervisor at discover they said they needed an SS89 form and he told her she could get it online instead of waiting for them to mail it and fax it to them along with a copy of her SSN card and drivers license or bank statement  so i faxed in everything they asked for about 10 minutes ago i will wait 24 hours and have her call back in again to verify and see if they can reactivate her account

Message 5 of 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Ok my wife called and asked to speak with a supervisor at discover they said they needed an SS89 form and he told her she could get it online instead of waiting for them to mail it and fax it to them along with a copy of her SSN card and drivers license or bank statement  so i faxed in everything they asked for about 10 minutes ago i will wait 24 hours and have her call back in again to verify and see if they can reactivate her account

That sounds like their standard verification, which they usually ask for as part of the application process, not after the fact. When my mom applied, we had to send in a copy of her SS card and license before they approved her.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! thats whats so puzzling why would they send her the card allow her to use it then deside to verify her identity its very weird i will post back with the final results when this gets cleared up

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update?
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well i faxed it on that date of the original post waited a few days called no word then  she called several times still no word so she decided to wait then they called her 2 days ago and said the original document her social security number wasnt legible i dont really undertstand that because i filled it out on the computer so it should have been perfectly legible but ok so i filled it out again printed it she filled out her social security by hand this time with pen then i faxed it in again today they call and they say her ssn still isnt readable at this point it turns to anger  this is the third time us sending it so this time today we filled it out with big bold dark magic marker and called to confirm they finally said ok we can read it its legible we will resubmit it to equifax and should be able to release the hold today or tomorrow as soon as we hear back from equifax so the wait continues

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I'll just wait till my profile gets stronger to apply again
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.