cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT - do they really want me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT - do they really want me?

Glad you asked.  I'm trying to fix my credit and establishing a line of revolving credit--while keeping my installment credit in good standing--appears to be the fastest way to get there.  When I say "use" I mean increase the line at as low of a utilization rate as I can.

I went "off the grid" dredit wise a couple of years ago and didn't have any credit cards--I was 100% debit and cash.  It taught me how to live very much within my means, of course.  However, when i suddenly needed to do things last year, like get an appartment and furniture, I found myself getting turned down for financing offers tht I would have never had problems getting 2 years before.

From everything I've read, my credit had taken a dive because of my off-the-grid experimet.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holy crap!  They gave me a CL of $10k!  I'm gonna have a sick CU now!  I've been paying cash for everything for the past 2 years.

Wow.  I swear to you guys, I'm not a troll, LOL!

Message 12 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Holy crap!  They gave me a CL of $10k!  I'm gonna have a sick CU now!  I've been paying cash for everything for the past 2 years.

Wow what an awesome CL, I guess they did really want you

Message 13 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats Glen ! This is a really nice CL! 

Message 14 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 15 of 18
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Yeah, to get an initial CL like that from Discover is AAAA-mazing!

I know they seem to have loosened their normally conservative selves up for the It card. But that's still a whomping big CL for them!

Congrats for sure.

Message 16 of 18
JonStur
Established Contributor

Guess its safe to say you are officially on the grid now!!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha ha... very much ON.

Thanks everyone.

Had another follow-up question... I never thought of this before, but I saw someone else asking about your first purchase on a new card.  I was thinking about buying an airline ticket to inaugurate this thing.  I’m going to Europe this summer with some buddies so the ticket would be about $1,000 or 10% of the CL.  Is this a good idea or a bad idea?  Or, does it not make any difference.  It’s not a cash flow issue.  I could easily just dip into my savings account.

Or, might I also consider opening an airline card when I purchase the ticket.  This would be my 5th or 6th hard inquiry in the past 2 years.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.