Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT vs. Amex BCE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT vs. Amex BCE

Hey everyone

Just was wondering people's thoughts on these two cards. I currently have a Freedom and an old Cap1 card but would like to add another card and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to these two. My FAKO is 750, I always PIF, and my AAoA is 2 years.

Which card is harder to get? I've always heard about great customer service from Amex but now recently I've heard it's dipped and Discover is better? Since I already have the freedom I'm thinking that maybe the BCE is the way to go since I already take advantage of the rotating categories Chase provides and Discover doesn't add much over that?

It's definitely a tossup for me so I would love any insight from this forum, thanks!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT vs. Amex BCE

IMO AMEX BCE is still harder to get, Discover IT is new so they are targeting and campaigning everyone signs up. But IT has awesome features and rewards

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 28
GangnamFICO
Valued Member

I've been pondering this myself.  I would go with Discover because they are offering 14 months of 0%, BCE is offering only 6 months at 0%.

Walmart TU Score 740
Chase Freedom($5000); CitiThankYou Preferred($5000); GEWM Discover($3500); Walmart Store($1300); AMEX Gold; AMEX BCE($6000); GE Discount Tire($1500); Mor Furniture ($4700);Cap1($750)
Message 3 of 28
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I was instantly approved for BCE but had to recon for discover more(now IT)
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 28
KS13
Established Member

I would get the American Express BCE.

But chances are you probably won't be approved for it since it is harder to get, but you never know. What is your total income ?

Message 5 of 28
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I have both.  I got my BCE first... they offered 0% for 15 months when i got it. (I PIF so it really doesn't matter).  I got a Discover more in October, and PC'd it to the IT last month.  got my new cards (yes they sent me 2...) for the IT this week.

I like the static reward structure of the BC (wish i would have gone for the preferred one in hindsight, but I HATE AFs.).  I use the Amex for my daily spending, but i use the discover for the 5% rotating categories. (and in those rare places i shop that take discover instead of ax)

the customer service I've received from both has been great.   

I think for many the Discover is easier right now because of the new push for their IT card, but as always, ymmv

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 6 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

The main question is, what do you spend money on!

If you spend a lot at groceries/gas/department stores, try for BCE.  If it's more varied, and the Discover categories from the past look useful, maybe go for that.

Personally I don't have any rotating category cards, since you never know if the categories will be useful to you, or there when you need them, so I go with fixed, like BCP/Forward/Cash Plus.    But obviously a lot of people like the rotating cards.

Message 7 of 28
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@KS13 wrote:

I would get the American Express BCE.

But chances are you probably won't be approved for it since it is harder to get, but you never know. What is your total income ?

To KS13: How can you say that if you know nothing about the OP's credit profile?

To OP:

I chose the BCP because my grocery spending easily covers the annual fee, and because the rewards categories are used ALL the time, as opposed to the rotating categories of Discover/Chase Freedom. Although I did get the Freedom due to the two quarters of 5% on gas this year. 

Anyway, if you tell us more about your spending habits and you credit profile we can help recommend a card that fits your spending and that is within reach for approval. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Snacktrader,

My Cap1 is 3 years old, my Freedom is a little over a year old. Nothing negative on my reports, everything PIF every month. CL on Cap1 is $500 (prob will try Exec office for CLI or PC but not holding my breathe on that just yet), CL on Freedom is 2000. Do you think that maybe requesting a HP CLI from Chase is good before I apply for a new card so they see I have a higher CL on an existing card? My utilization right now is ~7%. Income is 40k. I never use my Cap1 these days, just a purchase here and there to keep it open.

Spending is mostly gas, groceries, restaurants/fast food, and Amazon predominantly for online purchases. I'm moving out of my parents house soon (recent grad) so I'm sure my spending will obviously increase on household items when that happens. Travel maybe once a year but I'm not really looking for a travel card.

Let me know if I forgot anything!

Message 9 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Snacktrader,

My Cap1 is 3 years old, my Freedom is a little over a year old. Nothing negative on my reports, everything PIF every month. CL on Cap1 is $500 (prob will try Exec office for CLI or PC but not holding my breathe on that just yet), CL on Freedom is 2000. Do you think that maybe requesting a HP CLI from Chase is good before I apply for a new card so they see I have a higher CL on an existing card? My utilization right now is ~7%. Income is 40k. I never use my Cap1 these days, just a purchase here and there to keep it open.

Spending is mostly gas, groceries, restaurants/fast food, and Amazon predominantly for online purchases. I'm moving out of my parents house soon (recent grad) so I'm sure my spending will obviously increase on household items when that happens. Travel maybe once a year but I'm not really looking for a travel card.

Let me know if I forgot anything!

So for those things, BCP/BCE and Citi Forward are good choices! (The Amex for gas/groceries, Forward for restaurants/fast food and Amazon)

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.