Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT

tag
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Discover IT

Was wondering if anyone could give advice on approval odds?

I know that I would most likely get declined (595 TU score from here as of Jan 20th). 

But my DW wants to app.  She just pulled her TU score from here and it says 644.  She currently has a few cards as follows:

Cap 1 Secured $300

Cap 1 Quicksilver One $500

NFCU goRewards $4000

NFCU Secured $600 (joint card with me)

And a couple of the "cart trick cards"  $250 limit on all

I know I have read through the boards and seen people approved with less and most of the time they look at TU.  We are in rebuild mode - about halfway thru it all, and would love to get "in" with Discover.  Just hate to get that HP.  She did try the pre-qualify thing, but no luck - just says we recommend this and shows the IT card. 

She has a few baddies on her report, all medical and over 2 years old...we are working on those atm. 

Utilization is around 30% total

And the cart cards and goRewards are basically new - 2 statements into those

Any advice is greatly appreciated Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover IT

I would say no chance.

Discover isn't BK friendly.
Message 2 of 30
MoneyHunnie

I got approved for it after receiving a preapproved letter in the mail. They pulled TU which at the time was 652 with 11 baddies all 180 day lates from end of 2012- early 2013.  I only had a capital one platinum with a $500 CL and a merrick bank card with a $550 CL, both with very high utilizations but on-time payments. They approved me for $500. I tried to recon for a higher ICL but was denied and told to wait 6 months. I am however happy to be about a part of the Discover family. It was my first prime card in almost 10 years after royally messing up my credit in college.

All of that to say she may have a shot at getting approved, but as with anything it's YMMV. Good luck to you both!

Starting Scores: 400's (01/2013)
Current Scores: EXP 760 (03/11/14) EQ 730 (2/26/14) TU 752 (2/18/14) via MyFico. TU 08 - 734 via Barclays (3/14/14)
Amex Gold Premier (NPSL) | NFCU Sig Cash Rewards $15K | CareCredit $9.6K | Citi Thank You Preferred $6.5K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Chase Freedom $3K | Sportsman Guide Visa $2.5K| USAA Platinum MC $2K | Amex BCE $1K | Barclay Rewards MC $1K | Merrick Bank $550 | Discover IT $500 | Cap One $500 | & various store cards.
Message 3 of 30
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

It is hard to say, YMMV...

Message 4 of 30
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

It is hard to say, YMMV...

+1

Discover is one of the most unpredictable lenders....similar to spinning the fortune wheel...Good luck !

Message 5 of 30
H4LO
Established Contributor

Personally, I'd wait until they start sending you letters.

I kept getting them and finally took a dive when they had one of those nice sign up bonus offers. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 6 of 30
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

They pulled EQ for me when I applied last year. I had a score right around 640 and my 3 cap one cards and care credit. I was denied due to bk. I would try and get your util lower if you are going to try. That would boost the score too.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 7 of 30
39Xelor
Established Member

Do you know how many inqs she has on her reports? How old are her cards? Discover isn’t necessarily "hard" to get but it’s not really one of the easiest cards to obtain either.. I app'd for a Discover numerous times in 3 years and was denied every time!

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 8 of 30
tcbofade
Super Contributor

They pulled EQ for wifey, and pulled EX for me...and we have the same address and last name...good luck!

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 9 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

+1 to H4LO

I would consider apping with negs without an invitation or prequal from Discover a waste.
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.