Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT

tag
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Discover IT

Hey all, just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on the discover it card. I was considering applying for it, even tho I already have the chase freedom. What's everyone's experience with this card and discover as a whole ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover IT

@Jayb5635 wrote:
Hey all, just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on the discover it card. I was considering applying for it, even tho I already have the chase freedom. What's everyone's experience with this card and discover as a whole ???

It is a great card to compliment the Freedom on 5% categories. They are conservative with CL's but if your file is decent you can get a good starting CL. Very good Customer Service.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 13
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Hopefully they will give me a good starting credit line. My Barclay rewards mc and chase freedom both have 1500 credit lines, while my chase sapphire preferred has a 5k credit line. Amex zync doesn't count since its a charge card haha.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 3 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think it's FANTASTIC! some of the commercials really crack me up...

I use Amazon pretty frequently and a linked Discover Card can use Cash Back instantly while checking out if you like and since over the holidays online shopping was 5% it was pretty crazy Smiley Happy

If you have a friend with one, be sure to ask them to refer you... If you get approved from them referring, you both get $50!!!

Message 4 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
Hopefully they will give me a good starting credit line. My Barclay rewards mc and chase freedom both have 1500 credit lines, while my chase sapphire preferred has a 5k credit line. Amex zync doesn't count since its a charge card haha.

I'd say between 2-4K they would give you. (Hopefully more!!!)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 13
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

I have no experience with Discover IT but I do with a regular Discover.

Over the past two years, I have zero complaints save for one (by one...I mean three of course):

My wife and I took a cruise and used our Discover card to cover our onboard expenses (booze, cuban stogies...ya know ....the necessities) but when we got off the cruise it took almost two weeks for Discover to release all the holds that the cruise line had placed.

I guess my other issue with them is the recently almost useless 5% bonus on things that we just don't do.  Next month I think its 5% cash back at Home Improvement stores.  Well...I live in Southern California and don't own a house so bonuses like that don't do me much good. 

The grocery store one though, ROCKS! Smiley Happy

Their online account management is pretty good, though they do a pain in the rear thing of holding payments from your available balance if you make more than one in a three day period. (I tend to make big chunky payments almost back to back and it messes me up a bit)

My last gripe...no CLI in the past 24 months for my wife.  We have not actually asked but their luv button is just never there.  Next month we are going to call them to try for a CLI for my wife.

Its a good card and I am hearing nothing but good about the new "It" as well

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 13
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Dammit I dunno anyone who has discover lol.

Message 7 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If credit has improved or stayed since applying, I would be requesting every 6 months!!

I think they offer and if you want more they do HP but some back and forth information has been given about 4 or so months ago... so we need some updates on that.

Message 8 of 13
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:

I acquired the Discover IT card mid January 2013, and so far, my experience with Discover has been phenomenal. All the CSRs that I've dealt with have been very friendly and accomodating. They really seem genuine and really want to satisfy you for being their customer. I always feel content after talking to them.

As for the card itself, I love the 5% cashback rotating categories. It has been to my advantage so far. If you can't take advantage of the current categories, they have shopDiscover online. Almost all the stores where I shop are listed. You can earm anywhere from 5% to 20% cashback! It will compliment your Chase Freedom nicely.

Also, the look and feel of the card is very unique. I've gotten many compliments and feel obligated to use it for that reason alone Smiley Very Happy

They also have a mobile app thats very easy to navigate and set up payments.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 9 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jakemod1 wrote:

@Jayb5635 wrote:

I acquired the Discover IT card mid January 2013, and so far, my experience with Discover has been phenomenal. All the CSRs that I've dealt with have been very friendly and accomodating. They really seem genuine and really want to satisfy you for being their customer. I always feel content after talking to them.

As for the card itself, I love the 5% cashback rotating categories. It has been to my advantage so far. If you can't take advantage of the current categories, they have shopDiscover online. Almost all the stores where I shop are listed. You can earm anywhere from 5% to 20% cashback! It will compliment your Chase Freedom nicely.

Also, the look and feel of the card is very unique. I've gotten many compliments and feel obligated to use it for that reason alone Smiley Very Happy

They also have a mobile app thats very easy to navigate and set up payments.

They really did do a good job on the design of the card!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.