cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It 5% cashback work on PayPal Key?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It 5% cashback work on PayPal Key?

I was approved for a Discover It Cashback card 4 days ago and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I'm aware of the quarterly cash back categories being Restaurants and PayPal right now but for PayPal I want to know if anyone has tested the new "PayPal Key" feature with their Discover card being the funding source... does it still qualify for 5% back on the purchase, since I haven't had the chance to try any of this out yet I assume that online stores with a PayPal option in the checkout are where you make purchases and receive the full 5% back due to it being done "via PayPal"... If you aren't aware of the PayPal Key, they describe it as eliminating the need for a PayPal button in the online stores for your purchase to go through via your PayPal account by generating a virtual card number that draws from whatever card you have set up in your PayPal account...

Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It 5% cashback work on PayPal Key?

There is a post about this on DoC and yes it does work for Disco and you can use it on any site, not just ones that take PayPal, which is why I'm really irritated that my accounts don't have it. 

Message 2 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid my internet bill & Verizon Wireless bill using PayPal key and it did code as PayPal. 

It's accepted anywhere MasterCard is accepted. Your PayPal account HAS to be a personal account in good standing. Also you need to order the free card they offer; cash plus debit card, in my case I had the PayPal key option enabled after my card was shipped.

Initially I had a my Discover card linked to my PayPal business account and PayPal key isn't an option with biz accounts at the moment. You need to make sure you completely unlink your discover card, (not just remove) from any other PayPal accounts or else your transactions will be denied. I had this happen to me. 
Paykey coding as PayPal transactionsPaykey coding as PayPal transactions

How the transaction appears on the PayPal appHow the transaction appears on the PayPal app

How PayPal key appears in the paypal appHow PayPal key appears in the paypal app

Message 3 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @Anonymous I went and hit Google to search for the Cash Plus Debit since my account wasn't offering it and as soon as I signed up, there was Key!

66F9C7C5-F211-41F6-805D-0817AF4B606F.jpeg

Message 4 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad it worked for you!

Essentially anything you buy is 5% or 10% if it's your first year. Also a reminder to other discover credit card holders, you can call and ask if they have any promotions on your account. Such as 0% on new purchases, BTs, and special cash back promos. 

This is way easier to max out the $75 for this quarter than doing the sending money to a friend method. 

Message 5 of 67
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Interesting...so to get PayPal Key activated, you need to get the debit card?

Message 6 of 67
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

I tried to set up PayPal key and was told it wasn't available to all customers yet but to check back.

Message 7 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, order the cash plus debit card.

I also believe the PayPal account needs to be verified, meaning you need a card or bank account linked to it. 

Message 8 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad it worked for you!

Essentially anything you buy is 5% or 10% if it's your first year. Also a reminder to other discover credit card holders, you can call and ask if they have any promotions on your account. Such as 0% on new purchases, BTs, and special cash back promos. 

This is way easier to max out the $75 for this quarter than doing the sending money to a friend method. 

Yeah I am not going to be able to max out this quarter with my organic spend but I did add my Key to Amazon and I just paid the Comcast and Xfinity Mobile bills. 

It actually didn't fuss at me about having my Disco linked to two PayPal accounts but if I have any problems I'll go in and remove it from my business account. 

It isn't as flexible as I was hoping. Like it seems you only get the one Key and you can change the CVV but you have to delete it if you want to get another one from the looks of things? 

I wish I had this sooner but I'm happy to have it now. Thanks again!

Message 9 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Interesting...so to get PayPal Key activated, you need to get the debit card?

Yeah that was an instant activation for me. Like I went and ordered my card and PayPal converted my account. Once the page refreshed, Key was right there. 

Message 10 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.