cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It 5% cashback work on PayPal Key?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It 5% cashback work on PayPal Key?

@JL276 wrote:

I had no clue about paypal Key but I just ordered the Paypal cash debit card and it generated a key. Awesome find!

Now I'll max out this Disco quarter easily. To think, Paypal and restaraunts was the quarter I thought would be useless for me. Lol

@M_Smart007   @Anonymous  Also excuse my ignorance but what's the point of having the Paypal cash debit card? Does the Paypal debit card also link to credit cards or does it only use the paypal balance and/or bank account?

The PayPal debit card is pretty useless honestly unless you want quick access to your PayPal balance but it was just the easiest way to get the Key to show up. The business debit card gives 1% cash back on all transactions which used to able to be linked to the PayPal Cashback card for 3% on all purchases but PayPal killed that feature. 

Message 21 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

For some of us, ordering the card didn't initiate the paypal key link

Did you try the link to check for the Key after ordering the card?

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/debitcards/enroll/virtual-card?entrypoint=walletweb

Message 22 of 67
JL276
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JL276 wrote:

I had no clue about paypal Key but I just ordered the Paypal cash debit card and it generated a key. Awesome find!

Now I'll max out this Disco quarter easily. To think, Paypal and restaraunts was the quarter I thought would be useless for me. Lol

@M_Smart007   @Anonymous  Also excuse my ignorance but what's the point of having the Paypal cash debit card? Does the Paypal debit card also link to credit cards or does it only use the paypal balance and/or bank account?

The PayPal debit card is pretty useless honestly unless you want quick access to your PayPal balance but it was just the easiest way to get the Key to show up. The business debit card gives 1% cash back on all transactions which used to able to be linked to the PayPal Cashback card for 3% on all purchases but PayPal killed that feature. 

Ohh Ok, that makes sense

Thanks 

Message 23 of 67
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@A-B wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

The option to get PayPal Key did not automatically appear for me after applying for the PayPal Cash Debit Card.  However, I searched the help section for PayPal Key and was able to activate it from a link (see below) within the help section.  

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/debitcards/enroll/virtual-card?entrypoint=walletweb

@A-B, Thanks for the "Link"  ... I was able to activate the key, before getting the card in the mailSmiley Happy

@JL276, You can choose how you want to fund the Paypal Debit card via the key "Look for settings"

This setting will use you Discover 5% first!

Message 24 of 67
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtimelurker,

See link in message #19

I did not automatically get a key either. Was able to through the link.Smiley Happy

Edited to add: @Anonymous beat me to itSmiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 67
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@JL276, You can choose how you want to fund the Paypal Debit card via the key "Look for settings"

Paypal Debit card is separate from Key. Paypal Debit Card uses your paypal balance first. IF, you choose, you may allow Paypal to automatically top up your paypal balance from a funding source (debit, bank), when you make a purchase using the debit card, and you have no money in your paypal balance. The feature is called "Auto-Top Up" and it is a separate setting that you must enable, and is not the same funding source as what you have with the Key. They are separate features.   The top-up setting for the debit card is tricky to locate in the web app. Much easier to find it when you use the mobile app, and just click Settings (gear icon)> Paypal Cash Card > Then you will see a section to turn on "auto-top up" and choose a debit card or bank funding source. It tops up to the nearest $10.  If you make a $105 purchase with 0 paypal balance, Paypal will draw $110 from your funding source, spend $105, and leave $5 in your balance.

I personally view the Paypal debit card as a way to "mask" your real debit cards if you use them in person. Paypal debit card also has a "lock" function which blocks transactions. You would never need to carry any of your actual debit cards around with you when traveling (so no fear of losing them or getting them stolen). Just link them to paypal, and use the Paypal debit card. Switch the card linked on-demand with the mobile app.

Paypal really managed to distinguish themselves as a mobile wallet with all of these features. The Cash Card, the Key, and the subcriptions where you can link a merchant to your paypal account, and select the card you want to be processed with that specific merchant (good for category spending without having to remember which cards get bonuses at which merchants). One virtually never has to use your real payment cards anywhere if you own a paypal wallet.

Message 26 of 67
JL276
Regular Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Paypal Debit card is separate from Key. Paypal Debit Card uses your paypal balance first. IF, you choose, you may allow Paypal to automatically top up your paypal balance from a funding source (debit, bank), when you make a purchase using the debit card, and you have no money in your paypal balance. The feature is called "Auto-Top Up" and it is a separate setting that you must enable, and is not the same funding source as what you have with the Key. They are separate features.   The top-up setting for the debit card is tricky to locate in the web app. Much easier to find it when you use the mobile app, and just click Settings (gear icon)> Paypal Cash Card > Then you will see a section to turn on "auto-top up" and choose a debit card or bank funding source. It tops up to the nearest $10.  If you make a $105 purchase with 0 paypal balance, Paypal will draw $110 from your funding source, spend $105, and leave $5 in your balance.

I personally view the Paypal debit card as a way to "mask" your real debit cards if you use them in person. Paypal debit card also has a "lock" function which blocks transactions. You would never need to carry any of your actual debit cards around with you when traveling (so no fear of losing them or getting them stolen). Just link them to paypal, and use the Paypal debit card. Switch the card linked on-demand with the mobile app.

Paypal really managed to distinguish themselves as a mobile wallet with all of these features. The Cash Card and the Key. One virtually never has to use your real payment cards anywhere if you own a paypal wallet.

@Credit12Fico Great info. I knew the key and card were separate but didn't see the value of the debit card. They should just copy and paste your explanation of the debit card to their site. Thanks!

@M_Smart007 thanks Smart I've linked Disco to my key. Ready for cash back 

Message 27 of 67
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@JL276   Well Done & Congrats! ..5% Gone WildSmiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 67
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Credit12Fico Great info. I knew the key and card were separate but didn't see the value of the debit card. They should just copy and paste your explanation of the debit card to their site. Thanks!

+1

Message 29 of 67
JL276
Regular Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@JL276   Well Done & Congrats! ..5% Gone WildSmiley Very Happy

10% 😎 I'm still in my first year Cashback match with Disco. 

Message 30 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.