cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It 5% cashback work on PayPal Key?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It 5% cashback work on PayPal Key?

You know what's funny? The debit card never actually showed up on my PayPal account. There was some error when I was ordering it and it looks like the change to Cash Plus was done but no debit card, which I'm totally fine with. 

Message 31 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

For some of us, ordering the card didn't initiate the paypal key link

Did you try the link to check for the Key after ordering the card?

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/debitcards/enroll/virtual-card?entrypoint=walletweb

Yes, I had tried that a few times and it gave the Coming Soon response, then a few days later it worked.   I think that was after the card arrived but that's probably chance

Message 32 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You know what's funny? The debit card never actually showed up on my PayPal account. There was some error when I was ordering it and it looks like the change to Cash Plus was done but no debit card, which I'm totally fine with. 

Yes, as you said, not really needed.  The business 1% one is more useful (or was, until Paypal Key, if that lasts!)

Message 33 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, as you said, not really needed.  The business 1% one is more useful (or was, until Paypal Key, if that lasts!)

I had to cancel my business debit card as part of the process of getting PayPal to convert my account from business back to personal. Then they stopped responding so I just opened up a new account so I closed my business debit for no reason. 😤

I don't really have any use case where 1% debit works in my favor though so it's not the end of the world. 

Message 34 of 67
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@JL276 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@JL276   Well Done & Congrats! ..5% Gone WildSmiley Very Happy

10% 😎 I'm still in my first year Cashback match with Disco. 

@JL276 HatTipSmileyAnim.gif

Honestly.. I can't complain, I just ended my 10% cash back match on card #2 and maxed the 5% quarter on card #1.

Message 35 of 67
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had to cancel my business debit card as part of the process of getting PayPal to convert my account from business back to personal. Then they stopped responding so I just opened up a new account so I closed my business debit for no reason. 😤

I don't really have any use case where 1% debit works in my favor though so it's not the end of the world. 

I have had (2) Paypal accounts for years, one bus. and one personal.

Message 36 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My major use cases were places where it is cheaper to use a debit card, mainly paying estimated taxes.  Getting 1% on that can be profitable compared to a 2% card with 1 1.9% fee.    But now I have a 3% card, using that with a 1.9% fee is still slightly better, and if I can do it with Paypal Key, and get nearly the full 3%, that's a win.  But who knows if that is going to be blocked soon anyway!

Message 37 of 67
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Any luck with this? Tried linking the key to paypal credit but it didn't show up

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 38 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@luxlight wrote:

Any luck with this? Tried linking the key to paypal credit but it didn't show up

Doesn't work with any of the PayPal-branded payment methods. 

Message 39 of 67
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@luxlight wrote:

Linking to Paypal Credit to the Key is only available to a select group of Paypal customers for the time being. I suspect this is because Paypal and Sync needs to see if this is profitable or not.....and if it's abused or not. Remember, in an ordinary Paypal transaction where Paypal credit is accepted traditionally, that Merchant is paying a 3% fee to Paypal on the transaction. On a Paypal Key Transaction, the profit margin is most likely smaller because two networks have to be paid (Mastercard for issuing the key, and then the network who issues your bank card on the back end). 

Paypal Credit being turned into a shop anywhere online (or in-store if you purchased a visa giftcard online) with unlimited 6 months promo financing is potentially not profitable.  Blispay tried this, the math was a little different because blispay was also a 2% cashback card, but Blisplay failed. Perhaps Paypal/Sync can succeed at this.

Message 40 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.