Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Chrome

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Chrome

I saw this the other day, does straight 2% cash back rewards on gas and restaurant purchases. I'm now wondering if I should have applied for this one first hah. Is this card geared towards students? Is the underwriting the same? Can you PC it to the regular Discover It later on down the road?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Discover It Chrome

@Anonymous wrote:
I saw this the other day, does straight 2% cash back rewards on gas and restaurant purchases. I'm now wondering if I should have applied for this one first hah. Is this card geared towards students? Is the underwriting the same? Can you PC it to the regular Discover It later on down the road?

I know you can switch between the Chrome and the normal It pretty easily, though I'm not sure how long they want the account open first.

I don't think the underwriting is much different for the Chrome, but it's hard to say because I haven't heard of many people having the card. It is a good choice of for dining/gas if you don't have anything that exceeds 2%

Message 2 of 18
krial
Regular Contributor

When my brother got is first credit card, he chose the Chrome over the IT because he's not one to mess with rotating categories and Discover was one of the few places that would approve him with almost no credit (just a couple AU cards).

I'm fairly certain you can PC it later, but don't hold me to that.

Goal: 800, Current Scores: EX 735, EQ 746, TU 745
Message 3 of 18
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I got approved after recon on Thursday for a Discover it. It was a mail offer, and was for the regular 5% changing categories. I wanted the Chrome, but went with the mailed code. Anyways the rep at the recon call told me I could change it to the Chrome as soon as I get the card in the mail. Not sure if it's that easy but that's what I was told.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it is geared towards students and some have been successful converting it later whilst others haven't.  Whatever you do, report back with results.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the Chrome also offering the double cash back for a year for new cardholders?  If not, what is the benefit of getting Chrome over being a new Discover It customer? I got my card this month and I will get double cash back on everything (making it effectively a 2% everything 10% rotating categories card for one year).

Message 6 of 18
krial
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the Chrome also offering the double cash back for a year for new cardholders?  If not, what is the benefit of getting Chrome over being a new Discover It customer? I got my card this month and I will get double cash back on everything (making it effectively a 2% everything 10% rotating categories card for one year).

Yes -- I can verify that the double cash back promotion is available for the Chrome as well. As soon as I signed up for the promotion on my IT card, I sent my brother a message to have him try on his Chrome. It was available and he had no problems enrolling as well through Discover's online chat.

Goal: 800, Current Scores: EX 735, EQ 746, TU 745
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I concur with krial, they are offering that as well for the chrome. I wished I had applied for this one first. I got denied for the regular It in early June
Message 8 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Be awesome to have a 4% back card for eating out for a year, but it is geared towards students isn't it or have to be one?  I work for a university so have an ID Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, they have the Chrome in a non-student version as well.

It takes a little navigating on the Discover website, but they offer both the Chrome and regular It in student and non-student versions. Not sure why they like to market the cards in the way that they do, but I think it's an interesting observation.

I have the Chrome right now, but I think the 5% It would be better for me (especially in the long run) so I'm going to see if they will PC it this week. Might as well as they will need to send me a card with EMV anyway. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.