Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Gas 5% at Sam's?

tag
TyRacing
Frequent Contributor

Discover It Gas 5% at Sam's?

Does the Discover It get 5% at Sam's or Costco gas stations?

Thank you!

Have the Following:

CashBack Cards Goals: Citi Rewards+

Note to Self: Focus on the Abundance of Love and you shall have more!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It Gas 5% at Sam's?

I've been getting 5% on my Sam's club gas this quarter on both of my discover cards. 

Message 2 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I've used my Discover card many, many times at the pumps at Sam's Club and it's always coded as gas station.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@TyRacing wrote:

Thank you!

Costco doesn't take discover in store or at the pump, although you can buy a cash card online using discover and have it mailed to you to use. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 10
TJHOFF
Established Member

You can also buy a Sam's Gift card w/ your Discover online and use that. Sam's Gift card can also can be used at Walmart.

So for the 4th quarter when the category is Walmart.com (Online only specifically this year). Buy a Gift card online w/ Discover, use in store at Walmart and Sam's. Gives you year round 5% if you plan well.

Message 5 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Good thing is this Discover's quarter covers gas and wholesale club purchases, so it should code 5% one way or the other at Sam's.
At Costco, you can only use Discover online.
Message 6 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@imaximous wrote:
Good thing is this Discover's quarter covers gas and wholesale club purchases, so it should code 5% one way or the other at Sam's.

True, but as @Adkins mentioned above, you can use Discover online to order a prepaid Costco Cash Card which can be used at the pump or in the store.  I may do that.  Using at the Costco pump would only save me an additional 1% off my CITI Costco card.  Using  in-store would save me 2% to 3% off other options, so a better deal overall unless I anticipate spending more than $7K on gas annually.  Plus, once you prepay the Cash Card, it will carry over beyond the quarter unlike just using your Discover card for new charges. Win-Win!  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

True, but as @Adkins mentioned above, you can use Discover online to order a prepaid Costco Cash Card which can be used at the pump or in the store.  I may do that.  Using at the Costco pump would only save me an additional 1% off my CITI Costco card.  Using  in-store would save me 2% to 3% off other options, so a better deal overall unless I anticipate spending more than $7K on gas annually.  Plus, once you prepay the Cash Card, it will carry over beyond the quarter unlike just using your Discover card for new charges. Win-Win!  Smiley Happy

Yes. You can certainly do that. Just like you can buy gift cards or prepaid cards at office supply stores during no-fee sales or at supermarkets, etc.

I was mostly trying to point out that with Discover, you'd get 5% regardless of how it codes because the quarter includes both categories. At Costco, it takes more work and spending ahead (added risk), which for some, may not be that enticing for the extra point or two. Matter of preference. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TyRacing wrote:

Thank you!

Costco only accepts VISA. I was disappointed as well to find this out when tried using my discover card to buy gas. Smiley Sad

I was told it has something to do with them encouraging members to apply for their co-branded VISA card with Citi. 

Message 9 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TyRacing wrote:

Thank you!

Costco only accepts VISA. I was disappointed as well to find this out when tried using my discover card to buy gas. Smiley Sad

I was told it has something to do with them encouraging members to apply for their co-branded VISA card with Citi. 

They receive preferential processing rates for only accepting one card network.  The Citi card is in the Visa network for that reason (most Citi cards are MasterCard products), and the Costco card was previously issued by American Express for the same reason.  Similarly, there was a time when Sam's Club only accepted Discover.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.