Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Miles vs Citi AAdvantage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Miles vs Citi AAdvantage

Hello everyone, I was hoping you could give me some feedback as to which card is better, and which one I am more likely to be approved for.

Citi AAdvantage currently has  sign up bonus of 50,000 miles when you spend $3000 in purchases in the first 3 months, so that sounds pretty good to me. The card also gives you benefits with AA, but it costs $95 a year (waived the first year). 

The Discover It Miles doubles your miles after the first year (have to wait a year), but it has no goodies with any airline. There's no annual fee though, and I've heard their service is the best. 

Another thing to consider is that I'm being transferred to Mexico soon, and Citi bank has a huge presence in Mexico as Citibanamex, is that a plus? 

As for my credit:

Experian Score = 723

Inquiries = 3 (one "fake" inquiry from Chase, already disputed and in the process of being deleted)

Oldest CC = 2 years

Late payments = never

Utilization = 10-20% (depending on when they pull it)

Combined CL = $2,300

No loans, mortgage or car loan.

No accounts closed

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It Miles vs Citi AAdvantage

I think the distinction here is that AAdvantage is airline-specific and an opportunity to develop that relationship with Citi, whereas Discover it Miles allows more flexibility for general travel that is not tied to a specific airline. 

Since Discover it Miles also allows an option of cash back instead of miles, it's not as travel-specific as AAdvantage.

Consider carefully whether you will be utilizing American Airlines often enough to make the AAdvantage card and concomitant miles worthwhile.

Discover generally likes thin, clean profiles and since you mentioned your total overall CL is $2,300, it sounds as if you have only a few cards and a thin profile.

I have both the AAdvantage and the Discover it Miles cards, and have very specific purposes for both, so having one does not necessarily preclude the other. My Discover it Miles is new and I should be receiving it very soon.

A few questions that may help us to help you:

1) What is your AAoA? Are there any negatives at all on your reports?

2) Do you have at least one major credit card (not store card) that is over one year old? Is it a major card from a prime lender (i.e., ideally not a CreditOne card)

And a few suggestions:

1) Get utilization down to 10% or below for optimal result

2) Consider obtaining an installment loan (even a small one) to broaden and diversify your profile prior to applying.

And two comments:

1) With your overall total credit limits being $2,300, I would say to expect a small starting CL on one or both of these cards. If it's possible to obtain a CLI on a current card to boost your overall limits prior to applying, that would be helpful.

2) Your score of 723 is good and I would also say to obtain your TU and EQ scores before applying. DIscover has pulled both TU and EQ for people in the past, so it helps to know what you're working with.

Good luck! I love my AAdvantage card and have some great upcoming usage lined up for my Miles card. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

One final question as well: Is there any specific reason you have singled out these two cards vs. the myriad of other travel cards available?

Consider your upcoming travel needs in the next 12-24 months, and carefully evaluate the full range of travel and cash back credit cards before deciding which is best for you based on your spend and travel patterns.

Two cards are possible as long as you have a specific purpose for each, and a rationale that helps them fit into your overall plans.

Best of luck. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One final question as well: Is there any specific reason you have singled out these two cards vs. the myriad of other travel cards available?

Consider your upcoming travel needs in the next 12-24 months, and carefully evaluate the full range of travel and cash back credit cards before deciding which is best for you based on your spend and travel patterns.

Two cards are possible as long as you have a specific purpose for each, and a rationale that helps them fit into your overall plans.

That was my question: the cards are SO different it suggests a possible lack of knowledge of the space.    But basically:

If you can travel on AA (or its partners),,  especially premium cabin international, AND you can spend enough to get a decent amount of AA miles, then at least in theory, you can get some great value, getting several cents per mile, more than making up for the 1 mile per $ on general earning.   If you can't, the card is pretty useless, earning 1 mile per $ that you cannot really use

Whereas Discover IT Miles gives 3% the first year (at the end of the year) and 1.5% after.    This is really a cashback card, of which there are lots and lots, some giving 2% overall, others 5% on certain categories.   For the first year though, the cashback on this card is very good.  Then not so much.

And there are a set of cards with points that transfer to a variety of partners, and again, if redeemed correctly, these can be really good value.  But generally have an annual fee and require quite a lot of spend to get the desierable awards.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1) What is your AAoA? Are there any negatives at all on your reports?

2) Do you have at least one major credit card (not store card) that is over one year old? Is it a major card from a prime lender (i.e., ideally not a CreditOne card)

And a few suggestions:

1) Get utilization down to 10% or below for optimal result

2) Consider obtaining an installment loan (even a small one) to broaden and diversify your profile prior to applying.

And two comments:

1) With your overall total credit limits being $2,300, I would say to expect a small starting CL on one or both of these cards. If it's possible to obtain a CLI on a current card to boost your overall limits prior to applying, that would be helpful.

2) Your score of 723 is good and I would also say to obtain your TU and EQ scores before applying. DIscover has pulled both TU and EQ for people in the past, so it helps to know what you're working with.

Good luck! I love my AAdvantage card and have some great upcoming usage lined up for my Miles card. Smiley Happy

Thanks for your comments!
1) Average age is 1 year, since I just got a CapitalOne Quicksilver One ($2000 CL). No negatives at all.

2) I have a secured Visa with Wells Fargo, 2 years old, but Wells Fargo still hasn't graduated me for whatever reason. 

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have ruled out all of Chase cards due to the horrible service I've been receiving during my application process for the Hyatt card, I'm not even counting on ever getting it. Every rep I talk to (even in the Fruad department or Lending) gives me a different answer for whatever question I have. Then bankers at branches haven't been very helpful, they also give me wrong answers. Their system is pre-internet era, a fax takes 2 weeks to be uploaded, and to makes matters worse they mistakenly made 2 hard pulls on my Experian report. I already called about that and they will remove one inquiry but it'll take 2 months. All they say is sorry, but they never have a solution for anything. Horrible Horrible service. That's too bad because I thought they had good cards... 

As for Capital One, well since I have only 2 months with my QSOne I can't apply for a Venture.

Message 6 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, I was hoping you could give me some feedback as to which card is better, and which one I am more likely to be approved for.

Citi AAdvantage currently has  sign up bonus of 50,000 miles when you spend $3000 in purchases in the first 3 months, so that sounds pretty good to me. The card also gives you benefits with AA, but it costs $95 a year (waived the first year). 

If you go to the Citi website, and try their "See if you are prequalified" link, you check how you rate with Citi. If the result comes back with a single APR number, and a "you are prequalified to apply for the following credit card offers" then you have an excellent chance to get it. If they don't say "you are prequalified" then your chances are reduced. As with any app, you have to apply to find out for reals, but with the "you are prequalfied" I have not been disappointed on three separate Citi apps in 2015 and 2016.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

That was my question: the cards are SO different it suggests a possible lack of knowledge of the space.    But basically:

If you can travel on AA (or its partners),,  especially premium cabin international, AND you can spend enough to get a decent amount of AA miles, then at least in theory, you can get some great value, getting several cents per mile, more than making up for the 1 mile per $ on general earning.   If you can't, the card is pretty useless, earning 1 mile per $ that you cannot really use

Whereas Discover IT Miles gives 3% the first year (at the end of the year) and 1.5% after.    This is really a cashback card, of which there are lots and lots, some giving 2% overall, others 5% on certain categories.   For the first year though, the cashback on this card is very good.  Then not so much.

And there are a set of cards with points that transfer to a variety of partners, and again, if redeemed correctly, these can be really good value.  But generally have an annual fee and require quite a lot of spend to get the desierable awards.

Thanks for your comments, I know they are very different but the bonus with AA is enticing. I travel a lot for business, so I'll be putting $2000 a month in the card, if not more, and all that money is refunded by the company, so the points are basically free. I prefer a miles or points card over cashback because I'll be using the rewards for my personal vacations.

Message 8 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm not sure of your approval odds, but since you travel a lot for business, maybe even consider AA Executive?

Any chance your employer might cover the AF, since it could reduce your dining costs a bit? For the AA Platinum, at least, your employer would presumably be saving a checked bag fee.

And lounge access can make both business and personal travel less stressful. That said, some Admirals lounges are a lot nicer than others.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get both Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.