Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Upgrade?

tag
britthester
New Contributor

Discover It Upgrade?

Hey friends. I have been on the forum for a little while now, and I saw a post today that said something about Discover canceling their Discover More program and adopting the Discover It model. Does anyone have any information on this news? I would love to upgrade to Discover It, but I'm afraid of taking a credit hit. Does anyone know if you can upgrade your card without taking a credit inquiry? Just looking for some clarification. Thanks!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
nickn86
Contributor

Re: Discover It Upgrade?

There's no credit it for the product change.  You can convert the card in a few minutes through the online chat feature on Discover's website.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 2 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

There is no hard inquiry to upgrade and you keep the same account number... they will upgrade after your next statement.

You can also call to upgrade. 1800 discover
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 13
britthester
New Contributor

That's good news. I have a student card. Is the policy the same for their student cards?
Message 4 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

It should be....
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

It would be Discover It student. Discover rep told me the IT card was their best card. Unfortunately once you PC over to it...you can't PC to any other card or back to your old card. IT is final.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 13
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

1. call customer service
  2. thorugh online chat

It only take 30 second to get product change and every thing stay the same without any hard pull or new account.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 13
sdoonan
Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

It would be Discover It student. Discover rep told me the IT card was their best card. Unfortunately once you PC over to it...you can't PC to any other card or back to your old card. IT is final.

I was under the impression that the Discover IT student cards were not ready to go yet, so it would be a regular IT card. Hmmm...will have to check my card agreement when it comes in.  EDIT: Ignore that, I'm an idiot.

Cards: CitiForward for Students (2K, opened 8/2009), Discover it (2K, opened 7/2010), AMEX BCE (1k, opened 12/2010), Capital One Quicksilver (4.5k, opened 11/2011), Chase Freedom (1.5k, opened 8/2014)

AMEX Platinum (NPSL, AC arrangement, added 12/2011), Citi AAdvantage AMEX (9k, AU, backdated to 9/2008)

Scores: TU 667, EQ 651

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 8 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@sdoonan wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

I was under the impression that the Discover IT student cards were not ready to go yet, so it would be a regular IT card. Hmmm...will have to check my card agreement when it comes in.  EDIT: Ignore that, I'm an idiot.

Lol its ok. IT student apps are up and ready to go tho Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 9 of 13
britthester
New Contributor

Thank you all very much. I appreciate it. I will probably change it tomorrow through the online chat feature or I will call a customer service rep. I'm looking forward to the baseline 1% cash back with the 5% rotating categories. I was thinking of applying for Chase Freedom in the new year, but if I am able to get essentially the same rewards through Discover, then I might hold off on applying.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.