Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It pushed out for New Chase Amazon Prime Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It pushed out for New Chase Amazon Prime Card

With the New Chase Amazon Prime credit card providing unlimited 5% cash back for Amazon purchases, does it make the Discover It card irrelevant during the months of July through December?  That is the time frame when Discover It has Amazon purchases as its rotating 5% category.  The Discover It card has a spend limit of $1,500 per quarter ($500 per month) to get 5% cash back.  

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It pushed out for New Chase Amazon Prime Card

If you only use your Discover for the Amazon 5% in those quarters and spend more than $1,500 a quarter, yes.

It made the Discover irrelevant for me for those months.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 48
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

With the New Chase Amazon Prime credit card providing unlimited 5% cash back for Amazon purchases, does it make the Discover It card irrelevant during the months of July through December?  That is the time frame when Discover It has Amazon purchases as its rotating 5% category.  The Discover It card has a spend limit of $1,500 per quarter ($500 per month) to get 5% cash back.  

I think there is still a place for Discover. Smiley Happy

Historically the 3rd quarter has been home improvement in addition to Amazon, which will still be a stand-out option for anybody with a significant Home Depot purchase or Lowe's (if they don't have Lowe's credit which is 5% off at the register).

For me personally, I have taken advantage of the 4th quarter department stores category (again, in addition to Amazon) and I will continue to do so assuming they continue to offer it. 

Also keep in mind that there are likely large numbers of people who for whatever reason won't get the Amazon Visa but may already have (or get) Discover, so for them Discover will remain a solid option for 5% off Amazon purchases for half the year.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 48
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Why pay $99.00 a year just to get 5% back when you can get it for free?
Message 4 of 48
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@nrm wrote:

Most of the people (like myself) who are paying the $99 fee for Prime would be paying it with or without the new card; that the new card is available is just a bonus. 

I agree, though, that in general it probably woudn't be worth it to get Prime just for the 5%... in that case Discover or other options would be preferable.

Message 5 of 48
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@nrm wrote:

For me prime video and two day shipping more than makeup the cost of the $99 annual fee. I should but wont apply for their card. I have more than enough cards to manage now!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover wins if..
1. You are not a Prime member
2. It is your first 12 months and cash back will be matched
Message 7 of 48
nrm
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover wins if..
1. You are not a Prime member
2. It is your first 12 months and cash back will be matched

After one year, it's still 5%, no less than Chase Amazon Prime. Compare to US Bank Cash+, I can get 5% year round, 2% at restaurants, 5% at fast food restaurants, with or without Prime, and I don't think many people will settle with only  2% on gas and drugstores. Maybe I'm wrong but I notice that myFico pop are pretty hyped up with this piece of metal. It's just my observation.

Message 8 of 48
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

The 5% is only for Amazon Prime account, not for everyone. So Discover still has advantage when it's 5% is higher than 3%.
Message 9 of 48
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

More to add, Discover has other 5%, such as gas, and wholesale clubs, which I use. I have two Discover cards and I can run to $3,000 if I want.

I won't want to pay for the full Amazon Prime. But at half of the price, I am good with it. We don't use Amazin video etc.
Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.