Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It pushed out for New Chase Amazon Prime Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It pushed out for New Chase Amazon Prime Card

@9CLINE wrote:
I'll be an odd ball prime member who won't get the card, have both iT and Freedom, both cover our needs, as usual comes down to what is best for you.........

If I didn't already have the Chase Amazon card, I wouldn't deem it worthwhile to get the card, even if Discover and/or Freedom decided not to offer 5% on one or more quarters.  But it sure makes it worthwhile to dig in the sockdrawer for that old Chase Amazon card and take the few seconds to set it back as my default Amazon payment method.  And it reminds me of one reason I don't close old cards.  When I got the SallieMae card back in 2012, I could have just cancelled the Amazon card, as it's laid dormant these past 4+ years, in favor of SallieMae's 5%.  Now I can take advantage of 5% on the Chase Amazon; a "new" card without a credit hit!

Chris.

Message 21 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@9CLINE wrote:
I'll be an odd ball prime member who won't get the card, have both iT and Freedom, both cover our needs, as usual comes down to what is best for you.........

If I didn't already have the Chase Amazon card, I wouldn't deem it worthwhile to get the card, even if Discover and/or Freedom decided not to offer 5% on one or more quarters.  But it sure makes it worthwhile to dig in the sockdrawer for that old Chase Amazon card and take the few seconds to set it back as my default Amazon payment method.  And it reminds me of one reason I don't close old cards.  When I got the SallieMae card back in 2012, I could have just cancelled the Amazon card, as it's laid dormant these past 4+ years, in favor of SallieMae's 5%.  Now I can take advantage of 5% on the Chase Amazon; a "new" card without a credit hit!

Chris.

I agree in this case (glad to have kept the Amazon card).  OTOH, I have closed lots of cards that didn't get better, so no regrets about those!

Message 22 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instant award threshold on new purchases would be better like a quicksilver but since I don't use mine that much waiting a month is easy. it's always nice to have a few extra bucks off on something from Amazon every month. I'm going to move my subscribe and save stuff back to that card. Chase hasn't seen the kind of spend that my synchrony accounts have. Chase needs more love. Maybe they will increase me again. It was a good call for Chase to sweeten the pot for existing customers and not just offer new product
Message 23 of 48
yfan
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't count Discover out so easily. To me at least, they have proven their ability to stay relevant. The warehouse category this quarter for example. I'm a loyal Costco member, and most non-food items one buys from Costco can also be ordered on Costco.com, and more than 90% of the time they are delivered for free. I have been taking advantage of that this quarter.

While I'm not a big restaurant spender (anymore), my birthday falls in Q2, and I'd say that's generally my highest restaurant spend quarter.

And Discover may still have a trick or two up its sleeve.

Message 24 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think my lowes store sells amazon gift cards. Seen them at home depot.  Wonder if any gas stations ever sell them?

Message 25 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, Discover It has worked out great for the 2nd half of the year and during restaurant quarter (April-June). The first quarter, I used to benefit from it when I had a long commute (gas and public transportation). Now my commute is a short driving distance, so I have been using UberEATS to get the $500 per month max.
Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Chase Amazon Prime without a limit would be better for me during that first quarter. The gift cards on Amazon for Netflix, PlayStation view, and Whole Foods market can easily go over $500 per month. I estimate $835 in a month.
Message 27 of 48
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

The advantage with Discover is that there is no minimum redemption for rewards.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a bit late to the party here, so could someone fill me in on this "new" Chase Amazon card compared to the other Amazon card (I believe through Synchrony) that many have?

Message 29 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a bit late to the party here, so could someone fill me in on this "new" Chase Amazon card compared to the other Amazon card (I believe through Synchrony) that many have?

The important change to the Chase Amazon card is that they have raised the reward rate on Amazon purchases, for Prime members, from 3 to 5%, so now the same rate as the store card   (The Chase Amazon was a pretty useless card prior to this).

They have also made it no-FTF and for those excited by such things, the card is metal like the CSP/CSR (i.e. metal covered by plastic rather than all metal)

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.