Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It

tag
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Discover It

Activating the card is not a hassle. For me I have a rotation of three cards that does not include Freedom or It. I don't carry them, I don't know what the categories are each quarter and I would not earn enough rewards to make it worth it. I will admit though that with SM and Forward out the window it is probably time to take a second look at them.
Message 31 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Is it automatic to get the 5 percent or yoi have to "sign up" for it?

If someone forgets to sign up for the 5 perxent category r they SOL?

You do have to activate the quarterly categories and, if you miss the beginning, I believe you can activate and use them from that point on.

Discover Deals are standing deals. If something is listed on Discover Deals, it is available. Smiley Happy

I could be wrong, but I think you even get the bonus CB retroactively on previous purchases even if you activate after the quarter starts (up to a certain date).

Either way, it seems odd to me that people find it to be a hassle dealing with rotating category cards. I could understand, maybe, for those that just don't ever deal with their CC's online, but I'd think most do (dealing with CC's "offline" and writing checks, now "that" seems like a hassle). It's very easy to click a button for someone that's going to be on the online portal anyway. Even if it's just once every month or two, you're going easily hit the really large window to activate.

LOL My s/o still writes checks to pay his CCs. What annoys me is that he still chooses to get paper statements! He PREFERS it! It's just additional clutter that unecessarily kills trees! He also hand writes thank you cards to people. So I guess that's one good thing about him acting like he's from a completely different era. lol

My mom used to justify writing checks "to give the postal people jobs" (because of the layoffs a while back, I think?). But lately, she's made a couple online payments when she thinks the check might not make it on time-- which is a ridiculous hassle otherwise tech-able people who write checks needlessly put themselves through. 

Don't even get me started on people my age who still CHOOSE and PREFER to get a paper paycheck vs direct deposit. What the heck. Some even DO have direct deposit but still want to get a paper paystub instead of enrolling in paperless. What.

Message 32 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

I feel like an idiot for asking the following questions.... I have never had a discover card....

We all know cards that are either master card or visas with card numbers, expiration and 3 digit code, and name on card....

Are discover cards the same way? Number on front, expiration, and security number?

Since I think others already answered most of your questions I'll tackle this one.

Nope, number and name are on the BACK it's still a plastic card but that makes it like a metal one. I like it security-wise especially when you put it in the EMV reader you don't feel like you have to cover it from prying eyes, ya know? Smiley Wink

On the topic of acceptance rate I've only found two places in my day-to-day life that don't accept Discover. One is a restaurant (V/MC) and the other is a computer reseller (V/MC/Amex). Disco CSR's have been fantastic when I've had to call, and they have (acceptance rate aside) the best secured card on the market, hands-down rewards-wise.

Message 33 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Is it automatic to get the 5 percent or yoi have to "sign up" for it?

If someone forgets to sign up for the 5 perxent category r they SOL?

You do have to activate the quarterly categories and, if you miss the beginning, I believe you can activate and use them from that point on.

Discover Deals are standing deals. If something is listed on Discover Deals, it is available. Smiley Happy

I could be wrong, but I think you even get the bonus CB retroactively on previous purchases even if you activate after the quarter starts (up to a certain date).

Either way, it seems odd to me that people find it to be a hassle dealing with rotating category cards. I could understand, maybe, for those that just don't ever deal with their CC's online, but I'd think most do (dealing with CC's "offline" and writing checks, now "that" seems like a hassle). It's very easy to click a button for someone that's going to be on the online portal anyway. Even if it's just once every month or two, you're going easily hit the really large window to activate.

LOL My s/o still writes checks to pay his CCs. What annoys me is that he still chooses to get paper statements! He PREFERS it! It's just additional clutter that unecessarily kills trees! He also hand writes thank you cards to people. So I guess that's one good thing about him acting like he's from a completely different era. lol

My mom used to justify writing checks "to give the postal people jobs" (because of the layoffs a while back, I think?). But lately, she's made a couple online payments when she thinks the check might not make it on time-- which is a ridiculous hassle otherwise tech-able people who write checks needlessly put themselves through. 

Don't even get me started on people my age who still CHOOSE and PREFER to get a paper paycheck vs direct deposit. What the heck. Some even DO have direct deposit but still want to get a paper paystub instead of enrolling in paperless. What.

I never wrote checks for CC's (The next check on my main checking account is only 108), but I do still want paper statements. Gives me a paper trail in case something goes awry. Writing checks is illogical to me because of the cost of a stamp plus the security of not mailing your checking account number every month.

I would get a paper paystub too if they didn't charge $25 each!

Message 34 of 62
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I carry 4 cards. My Discover, my MC, my Visa and my man card. They are all made of cold rolled blue steel and covered in razor blades, and poisoned spikes. That's how I roll, manly! Grrr...Smiley Mad

In all seriousness, Disco is great. Only found one place that doesn't take it, Jack in the Box. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 35 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I carry 4 cards. My Discover, my MC, my Visa and my man card. They are all made of cold rolled blue steel and covered in razor blades, and poisoned spikes. That's how I roll, manly! Grrr...Smiley Mad

In all seriousness, Disco is great. Only found one place that doesn't take it, Jack in the Box. 

I bet that helps keep your spending low! LOL

Message 36 of 62
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I bet that helps keep your spending low! LOL

lol. It does. Even trips to pickup lunch requires a paramedic and a Code 3 team. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 37 of 62
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

Final question:

Maybe i am overthinking things. When u sign up for the 5 percent categories, how long does that sign up last? A week, month, quarter for that category? U sign up once a year and good for the entire year? What is the point in having cardholders sign up for 5 percent categories? Is that too force cardholders to read the categories to hopefully encourage them psychologically to spend more??.

Message 38 of 62
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Every 1/4 you sign up for the next 5% catagory.

It's mainly a sign up each 1/4 because they know a good percentage of poeple won't bother with it and they won't have to pay out.  It literally takes 10 seconds when you click on the link in your e-mail or hit it when you're logged into your account.

Message 39 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Final question:

Maybe i am overthinking things. When u sign up for the 5 percent categories, how long does that sign up last? A week, month, quarter for that category? U sign up once a year and good for the entire year? What is the point in having cardholders sign up for 5 percent categories? Is that too force cardholders to read the categories to hopefully encourage them psychologically to spend more??.

Each category is good for a quarter. You sign up every quarter. The point of having cardholders sign up for 5 percent categories, I'd guess, is so that if Client A forgets to sign up for the 5% category and makes purchases in that category, Client A will only get 1% cashback instead of 5%, which saves the lender money vs making it all automatic. Your theory sounds good, too, but, personally, I don't find myself any tempted to spend any more than I usually do (close to none) at Lowe's or Home Depot next quarter just because Home Improvement is 5% next quarter. Things are a little different when they have Amazon as a 5% category though lol 

Also, apart from the rotating categories, you'll find other saving opportunites via specific merchants when you log on to your account (under Rewards > DIscover Deals). I remember getting 5% off (effectively 10% with cashback match) my PS4 Pro when I used a deal Discover had with Walmart, even though Walmart wasn't part of the category that quarter. 

Message 40 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.