Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More CLI.....should I ask?

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Discover More CLI.....should I ask?

I have only had my Discover More card for two months and I have used them alot and paid them well. My limit is 1500.00 and they are the only cc I have that has the 0% interest for 18 months. I would like to use this card for Christmas shopping since I will be running a balance for a couple months (3) but since the limit is so low, I don't want to get close to the limit. Should I call and ask for a cli or is it too soon? Since all of my accounts have been opened within a month of each other will that throw up red flags on me? This card is my favorite so I don't want anything to go wrong with it. I don't know if they are new account sensitive or not. I also don't want a hp. So what should I do?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover More CLI.....should I ask?

I was under the impression that you had to wait 6 months for a Discover CLI but YMMV

Message 2 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yep afaik and have seen, no cli w Discover for 6 mos. I'd call and ask anyway though
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

You can call but they will probably deny you considering your account is so new. Discover won't even let you get cashback from your account online until you've made at least 3 payments.

Oh and Discover's promotion is 15 months...I don't think they have a 18 month promotion.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 13
snowkitty
Established Contributor

That's right....it is 15 months....I was thinking of the walmart deal. I had just read on one of the posts on here that someone got a cli after 2 months so I thought maybe I could ask.
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I wish I could get an increase--that would be really nice. I go between this card and my Freedom card.

Message 6 of 13
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

I wish I could get an increase--that would be really nice. I go between this card and my Freedom card.

I really want the Freedom card and I wish I would have applied for it when I was apping but I thought I would not be able to get it. I don't dare app for anything for a long while! I have all I need and now I am watching my scores fall from the cards being added to my credit report. Cat Sad

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 7 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

I really want the Freedom card and I wish I would have applied for it when I was apping but I thought I would not be able to get it. I don't dare app for anything for a long while! I have all I need and now I am watching my scores fall from the cards being added to my credit report. Cat Sad

What is your credit looking like now? If your credit is pretty decent and you have at least one year reporting, I say go for it. My credit at the time I applied for Freedom was 2 years history, probably 10 INQs in the last year, FICO around 700. I was approved for 3k then I applied for a different Chase card and approved for 1.5k. I have since combined these cards.

Message 8 of 13
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

What is your credit looking like now? If your credit is pretty decent and you have at least one year reporting, I say go for it. My credit at the time I applied for Freedom was 2 years history, probably 10 INQs in the last year, FICO around 700. I was approved for 3k then I applied for a different Chase card and approved for 1.5k. I have since combined these cards.

I currrently have the Chase Amazon Visa, you're saying that if I apply for the Chase Freedom and receive approval that I can have the two credit limits combined into one card/account? If I did this does the combined account take on the original date of the first account or second account?

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@iCoop wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

I currrently have the Chase Amazon Visa, you're saying that if I apply for the Chase Freedom and receive approval that I can have the two credit limits combined into one card/account? If I did this does the combined account take on the original date of the first account or second account?

The card you are trying to move your CL to will become your main card. The account date doesn't change b/c you moved your limit--its whatever day you received approval for that particular card. But, yes, you can combine them if you decide you don't want that card anymore. I had applied for Chase Freedom, received approval. Then later apped for Chase Amazon and received approval. After getting Chase Amazon...I didn't like the rewards so I called Chase and asked them to move my limit over to my Freedom card and close my Chase Amazon card. They did this with no problem and the affect was immediate. Accounts had only been activate for a few weeks. The only requirement is that the account you are getting rid of needs to have a $0 balance and no pending transactions otherwise they won't be able to move it.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.