Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover More CLI

Nope, i've PIF since i got it. My total util is 4% on other cards.  If the option is not there, that means you don't qualify right?
Message Edited by turbowrx on 03-23-2009 12:36 PM
Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Nope, i've PIF since i got it. My total util is 4% on other cards.  If the option is not there, that means you don't qualify right?
Message Edited by turbowrx on 03-23-2009 12:36 PM

if the option is not there, it means that they have not made it available to your account. your utility is great and if you have no baddies then you should be in good shape.  how about your usage of the card. do you use regularly?  sometimes if they see only minimum usage they may think you don't need an CLI.  I used mine for regular expenses like groceries and cell phone bills and gasoline. The option 5 was available on my account at the 5 months mark. I waited till the 8 month mark to press 5 - so not to look too desperate
Message 12 of 35
score_building
Senior Contributor

@billsfan14 wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@billsfan14 wrote:
Good news and very encouraging.  I'm at 6 months in May and am hoping they really bump up this toy limit of $500!

is yours a student card?  i haven't heard of a regular card approved with 500.
It started out as a student card but I believe it's changed now because I have the option to BT.   Is there a max limit on credit lines for student cards?  I should call and see if it's still student or what.

the BT offer is great but that doesn't mean the card has changed to a regular card from a student card.

student cards tend to be low limit cards for the life of the card.  unless you successfully complete a product change it will always be a student card.  it doesn't change to a regular card just out of the blue. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 13 of 35
billsfan14
New Contributor

score_building wrote: 

the BT offer is great but that doesn't mean the card has changed to a regular card from a student card.

student cards tend to be low limit cards for the life of the card.  unless you successfully complete a product change it will always be a student card.  it doesn't change to a regular card just out of the blue. 

Well I really don't remember what I applied for... I checked online under my account information, and my card type is "Discover More Card"

Doesn't say student anywhere, so at this point I'm not sure. 

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

The option wasn't available for mine, so I requested to speak to customer service. They were able to give me a CLI without doing an inquiry and said it was based on my payment history.  She did say she could pull my credit and possibly give me a higher increase, but said that there was no guarantee, so I declined. Got a free $2500 increase.
Message 15 of 35
keithc
Regular Contributor

same here but got turned down- score is mid 600s
Message 16 of 35
jaybird201
Established Contributor

@billsfan14 wrote:

score_building wrote: 

Well I really don't remember what I applied for... I checked online under my account information, and my card type is "Discover More Card"

Doesn't say student anywhere, so at this point I'm not sure. 

It wouldn't say it's a student card anywhere. Basically if you check the "Student" box it increases your chances of approval if you've got a thin/non-existant credit file, decreases your starting limit and increases your starting APR.

You can still get approved for CLIs, just make sure you've used it enough and PIF/POT. I started with $1,350 a little while ago, got a $500 CLI after 6 months and another $500 after 4 months (Requested the increase so that I could buy a computer via Shop Discover that cost more than my limit).

Source: Work for a financial institution and this is a relatively common practice.

Message 17 of 35
billsfan14
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  I'm only 19, and about a month and a half into my credit building.  I remember applying for the card out on a whim in November and was really surprised I was approved.

I carried a balance for the prior 4 months before I understood how credit should be used.  Never paid late, always paid a min of $100 a month so hopefully the CLI at 6 months will come through.  

Message Edited by billsfan14 on 03-23-2009 08:14 PM
Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they give large limits on Discover More? I thought I read somewhere that this card's credit limit can go up to 50K.  I have a 25K BOA card and 750+ FICO scores.  I've been getting preapproved offers for Discover More, do you think I can get at least 25K limit on Discover More? 50K would be nice, the higher the better.
Message 19 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

urgent_help_needed wrote:
 Do they give large limits on Discover More? I thought I read somewhere that this card's credit limit can go up to 50K.  I have a 25K BOA card and 750+ FICO scores.  I've been getting preapproved offers for Discover More, do you think I can get at least 25K limit on Discover More? 50K would be nice, the higher the better.

I doubt that very seriously. Discover limits might be potentially high, but in reality, they're lower than many. DH has scores in the 800's, and his limit is $14,400.

A great card, but not necessarily neck-snapping acceleration in the CL department.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.