cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More approved & initial CL recon success!!! (5k -> 10k)

tag
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Discover More approved & initial CL recon success!!! (5k -> 10k)

Disclaimer: huge YMMV!! Smiley Happy

I was recently instantly approved online for a Discover More card with an initial credit limit of 5k. I then immediately called their New Accounts Department to have my initial CL recon'd. At first, I was told that I needed to wait until I had the card for at least 6 months. But after a lengthy conversation with the credit analyst and requesting to have a supervisor look into it and call me back, the same credit analyst called me back a few minutes later to inform me that my request was approved for 10k!!! Smiley Very Happy

I now have a brand new Discover More card w/ a 10k CL @ 10.99% APR, $200 bonus after spending $1,500 within 3 months. FYI, you can choose the bonus offer by using their CardBuilder: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/get-discover​/build-card/

• $200 Cashback Bonus for spending $1500 in your first 3 months
  • $150 Cashback Bonus for spending $1000 in your first 3 months
  • $100 Cashback Bonus for spending $750 in your first 3 months
  • $75 Cashback Bonus for spending $500 in your first 3 months
  • $50 Cashback Bonus for spending $500 in your first 3 months

Just FYI, another cool thing is that you can request to have your new card overnighted.

Discover did a hard pull on EQ. (I live in NY.) As per Discover, my Equifax FICO score is 795!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover More approved & initial CL recon success!!! (5k -> 10k)

Nice!!

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe they only offered you 5k with a 795.  I got my first Discover last month and they gave me 4k with low 700.  When I talked to the senior credit analysis (I had to recon to get instant approval, I know that makes no sense) she asked me some questions, approved me for 4k and asked if that was enough.  Call me a chicken, but I was just happy to get a Discover with 4k.  So I did not push it...

Message 3 of 13
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't believe they only offered you 5k with a 795.  I got my first Discover last month and they gave me 4k with low 700.  When I talked to the senior credit analysis (I had to recon to get instant approval, I know that makes no sense) she asked me some questions, approved me for 4k and asked if that was enough.  Call me a chicken, but I was just happy to get a Discover with 4k.  So I did not push it...

I also couldn't believe they only instantly approved me for 5k! Smiley LOL My lowest CL on a non-retail credit card is 10k, and the highest is currently 35k.

Message 4 of 13
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I also couldn't believe they only instantly approved me for 5k! Smiley LOL My lowest CL on a non-retail credit card is 10k, and the highest is currently 35k.

I only have $2k with them!  Smiley Mad

They are strange and I intend on giving them a call to discuss. yesterday, I was approved for the Southwest Visa with a $20k line. Instant. Discover needs to step up if they want my continued business.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 5 of 13
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They are strange and I intend on giving them a call to discuss. yesterday, I was approved for the Southwest Visa with a $20k line. Instant. Discover needs to step up if they want my continued business.

You definitely deserve more than 2k! I'd suggest waiting until your CR's get updated with your new 20k Chase SW Visa. Do you already have other credit cards with high CL's? Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You definitely deserve more than 2k! I'd suggest waiting until your CR's get updated with your new 20k Chase SW Visa. Do you already have other credit cards with high CL's? Good luck! Smiley Happy

Yes, I have quite a few cards with very high CL's.

I have ranted on this board for the past year about this card! 

Ray

Message 7 of 13
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, sorry to hear that. When do you plan to request a CLI? You might have to take a hard inquiry and possibly recon.

Message 8 of 13
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, sorry to hear that. When do you plan to request a CLI? You might have to take a hard inquiry and possibly recon.

Homestly. at this point I do not even need their card - it is the challenge of the CLI that I am working it for...  Smiley Happy It can go down the shreader as far as I am concerned.

Ray

Message 9 of 13
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

RockinRay, don't get discouraged. They are very conservative, but the card will grow with you based on other people's feedback. IMO, they truly have the best customer service. It's refreshing to deal with just American call centers. Believe me, I'm not just saying this because they bumped me to 10k. Each time I called Discover, they were very friendly & not in a rush to finish the call. I hope you give them a chance to come around.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.