Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More or Barclays Apple??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More or Barclays Apple??

I am a regular forum reader and have posted once or twice.  I'd like some advice on whether or not to pull the trigger on a new card.

HISTORY:

1 cap one sec -$200 AoA - 11 months, no missed payments

1 auto loan AoA - 1 year 2 months, no missed payments

No baddies at all

Salary 48k

Scores TU-712, EX - 703 

Applied for a chase freedom in Nov. with similar scores and was denied for "not enough revolving accts" and "age of accts"

I would like another charge card so i can garden till next year.  What do you think my chances are for a Discover More or Barclays Apple??

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover More or Barclays Apple??

Or would it be wise to garden another 6 months??  Have gotten offers from Prime one and Credit one for 700 and 1000 cards but those fees are bananas!!!!!

Message 2 of 12
mxp114
Valued Contributor

You probably have a better shot with Barclays due to liberal recons but otherwise your profile is lightweight. Not even 12 months revolving = highly unlikely to get any prime cards. I would give it six months. Maybe even app for Orchard/HSBC to start to establish unsecure credit.

Message 3 of 12
learnin113
Established Contributor

Discover More is a way better card.  There's not much use for the Apple card unless you need great financing on Apple products of course or your scores are less than stellar. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a regular forum reader and have posted once or twice.  I'd like some advice on whether or not to pull the trigger on a new card.

HISTORY:

1 cap one sec -$200 AoA - 11 months, no missed payments

1 auto loan AoA - 1 year 2 months, no missed payments

No baddies at all

Salary 48k

Scores TU-712, EX - 703 

Applied for a chase freedom in Nov. with similar scores and was denied for "not enough revolving accts" and "age of accts"

I would like another charge card so i can garden till next year.  What do you think my chances are for a Discover More or Barclays Apple??

Thanks in advance

Before I make any suggestions let me make sure I understand what you are wanting...are you wanting a rewards card or are you wanting to build more credit?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both actually but I'd prefer to get more credit without having to pay a ridiculous monthly fee. Its just frustration setting in I think!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Both actually but I'd prefer to get more credit without having to pay a ridiculous monthly fee. Its just frustration setting in I think!

This can be accomplished....first you will need to do some research on which credit unions to join that will be generous giving you a good limit to start with. If you or someone in your family is Military you can join Navy Fed and Pen Fed, Also highly recommend USAA. If you are looking for a credit union that pulls TU then there is Lake Michigan CU and Consumers Credit Union. I'd then wait 6 months before applying for Discover and Barclays for best chance of approval with a good starting limit. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the advise. I think I'll hold off till I get to 18 months!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
thanks for the advise. I think I'll hold off till I get to 18 months!

You are welcome and do what you feel is right and comfortable for you. Just keep in mind it's easier to build credit with credit unions than it is with Prime Creditors

Message 9 of 12
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

To be honest I got a discover more card with less history than you and a worse score than yours with 1000 cl and salary right about the same with high util and it was more card with huge amount of inq
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.