Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More vs. Chase Freedom

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Discover More vs. Chase Freedom

These two rewards cards seem to have a similar structure, with the Chase having the upper hand with the higher caps on 5% categories and the general cashback of 1% straight.

Aside from that, what is your experience with these two cards. Do you have one or both? What is your favorite? Does the Chase win hands down or are there certain features that make the Discover more desirable in some situations?

I've had the More for about a year and just got a Freedom, so I am curious to hear about your experience.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover More vs. Chase Freedom

discover is 1% cashback on everything else after you spend $3,000 annually until that threshold is met its only 0.25% versus chase where its 1% on everything else no matter what no thresholds to meet. I think discovers caps are much lower than chases also, and the 1% cashback is excluded from warehouse clubs like sams club or costco it will only be 0.25% on those no matter what.

amazon
Message 2 of 18
MAstudent07
Contributor

I have to agree that the rewards structure for Freedom tops the More card as mentioned above. In my situation the Freedom is superior because it has

•   A higher credit limit (3k vs 1.5k)
  •   A lower APR (11.99 vs 19.99)

In some instances, the More card will allow a cli request without a hard pull and based on what I have read, Freedom will require a hard pull for customer initiated cli. Just my take on this cards. Congrats on your approval.

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 3 of 18
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

also a sidenote if you are a chase checking customer you get more rewards. 10 points for every purchase you make no matter the amount and 10% extra cashback on top of the 1% you are earning. example 2,500 points=$25 cashback. you spend $50, 50 points from 1%+ 10 points for transaction+ 5 points for extra 10% = 65 points vs traditional 1% cards where you would only be earning 50 points. It can add up over time i suppose.

amazon
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both ccs and I like both of them.  I also have Checking and Saving acct with Chase.

• Earning wise ... Freedom is better.
  • Redeeming wise ... More is better.
  • Shop through their online wise ... More is better.

So, you just need to calculate ~

• How much you would spend
  • How many pts you will able to earn
  • Which one has a gift card that you want to redeem for.
  • Which one gives you more for the pts you've earned. 

* I will not spend no more than cap amount on More.

* if I am going to spend more than a cap, I will use Freedom, then I will earn 1% + 10% Bonus + 10 pts/transaction.

Message 5 of 18
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have both ccs and I like both of them.  I also have Checking and Saving acct with Chase.

• Redeeming wise ... More is better.

Can you explain this? How so?

Message 6 of 18
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

i think the redemption options are better on more and there isnt a minimum to redeem on more versus chase where you have to redeem at least $20 i think

amazon
Message 7 of 18
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Yes, there is a minimum amount for Discover More. For a lot of purposes (like direct deposit or statement credit) I think it's even $50.

Message 8 of 18
smc733
Valued Contributor

Freedom > More any day...

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 9 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

These two rewards cards seem to have a similar structure, with the Chase having the upper hand with the higher caps on 5% categories and the general cashback of 1% straight.

Aside from that, what is your experience with these two cards. Do you have one or both? What is your favorite? Does the Chase win hands down or are there certain features that make the Discover more desirable in some situations?

I've had the More for about a year and just got a Freedom, so I am curious to hear about your experience.

I have and like both cards.   I like the Cashover feature with Discover More, and I like the BluePrint feature with Chase.  Both features are appealing to me.  Plus, I get to switch back and forth using the cards when the categories changes.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.