CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover No-fee BT offers gone?

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As for the fee, it’s possible that they will do it on a case by case basis but the rep I spoke with when the change was first announced seemed to believe it would be 5% for everyone with promos occasionally at 3%.

Like you we took advantage of bt a few weeks ago.  Now the offers are:  Apr 0%, 9 months, Fee 3%  or  Apr 5.99%, 15 months, Fee 3%.

Did you pay off the BT quickly like I did? I took $3500 and paid back $3200 already so I’m not sure if Disco likes that or not (they shot me down for a CLI this morning, so it didn’t impress them too terribly) but my offers definitely are a bit better than yours. 

No, I did mine on Aug 6, mine was 2900,  now it's 1100.  Should I pay more or drag it out?  What do they want? I saved the 0%fee for a rainy day, this is the first BT I've ever done so basically was curious.  That 0% fee is gone now.  I probably should have done that one, but I didn't you could lose the offer.

I say drag it out.Smiley Wink I did a Disco BT for $5K/3%fee/0%APR/12-mo in March. I asked and received a $3K CLI earlier this month with an outstanding balance of $3.9K, but my aggregate UT was <7%.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 21 of 36
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

I asked and received a $3K CLI earlier this month with an outstanding balance of $3.9K, but my aggregate UT was <7%.

Two snaps and a twist!  Good to know, thanks!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 22 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a 0% 4.99% offer that I took advantage of last month to get my SSL set up. Now I have two 3% fee options, 3.99% for 18 months and 0% for 12.

Next month all 3% fee offers are going to 5% too. Disco may just end up being utilization padding for 3/4 of the year. I’ll still use it for groceries in 1Q but now that I have the Amazon Store Card, it won’t see 4Q use.

The 0% for 12 months on purchases deal could get me to use it though if I don’t have another card with an intro running at the time and I have a large purchase to make.

Oh wow, you get some really great offers. 

A while back I read (I think it was in the updated terms Disco sent me) that the 5% BT fee would be on a case-by-case basis. And, I’m hoping that is the case. 

Citibank keeps trying to push the 5% fee for BT, I am like HELL Heck No!

I have a 0% fee offer 0% APR from Amex up to 25K for a year.

I haven't received a Citbank BT offer in about 2 years. I really liked their 3% fee and did 2 BTs. But if they're going to 5%, I'm with you; they can definitely keep it. Smiley Very Happy

Now, I would love to have that offer from AmX. What card is this on? 

Amex Everyday

Message 23 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As for the fee, it’s possible that they will do it on a case by case basis but the rep I spoke with when the change was first announced seemed to believe it would be 5% for everyone with promos occasionally at 3%.

Like you we took advantage of bt a few weeks ago.  Now the offers are:  Apr 0%, 9 months, Fee 3%  or  Apr 5.99%, 15 months, Fee 3%.

Did you pay off the BT quickly like I did? I took $3500 and paid back $3200 already so I’m not sure if Disco likes that or not (they shot me down for a CLI this morning, so it didn’t impress them too terribly) but my offers definitely are a bit better than yours. 

No, I did mine on Aug 6, mine was 2900,  now it's 1100.  Should I pay more or drag it out?  What do they want? I saved the 0%fee for a rainy day, this is the first BT I've ever done so basically was curious.  That 0% fee is gone now.  I probably should have done that one, but I didn't you could lose the offer.

Honestly I don’t know what Disco likes when it comes to BTs. This is only the second BT offer I’ve ever accepted period (first was NFCU and those are always no fee). 

I am not too concerned about it either way, just curious if there is method to their madness or if it’s like CLIs where it literally makes no sense. Since it’s Disco, it’s probably the latter. 

Their policy must have changed.

For 3 or 4 years I have been getting, every month, a pair of balance transfer offers: one with no fee and a modest interest rate, the other with a 3% fee and 0% interest. I don't pay balance transfer fees, so the no fee option was the one I always selected.

For the past 2 months, on 1 of my cards I have 2 offers, each with a 3% fee, and on the other card I have nothing.

Today they made it even less attractive. The one with 2 offers now has a 3% fee on one, and a 4% fee on the other.

Yeah, right.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

By no-fee BTs, do you mean no APR? If so, I believe this is based on credit scores. I'm currently on my 3rd 0% APR, 3% transfer fee BT  (first $5400, second $2000, current $9000), but I noticed that one month when my score dropped to the 'Good' range, the offers changed to where there was no 0% APR option. The next month once my score went back in the 'Very Good' range, my BT offers returned to normal. 

Message 25 of 36
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have my two regular offers, 3% fee 0% or no fee, 4.99% 15 months.

Same offers on PC and mobile app. Expires 1 October.

Just got through with a 12 month 0% on purchases, so will be BTing a $2k balance to the low rate offer, to put a load on the card. 

Discover likes you to pay the BT according to terms. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 26 of 36
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

By no-fee BTs, do you mean no APR? If so, I believe this is based on credit scores. I'm currently on my 3rd 0% APR, 3% transfer fee BT  (first $5400, second $2000, current $9000), but I noticed that one month when my score dropped to the 'Good' range, the offers changed to where there was no 0% APR option. The next month once my score went back in the 'Very Good' range, my BT offers returned to normal. 

Something to watch.  DH's scores are all 760's up.  So he still has 0% apr, but the 5.99% was 3.99% on Aug 6.  Plus both charge a fee.  Dunno but gonna pay attention now that you mentioned it.

Message 27 of 36
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

So if y'all drag it out, terms, do you still use that card?  What about utl.?

Message 28 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, by "no-fee" I meant no balance transfer fee. Historically, Discover made 2 offers each month, one with no balance transfer fee and a modest interest rate, the other with a balance transfer fee and a zero percent interest rate.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 29 of 36
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

So if y'all drag it out, terms, do you still use that card?  What about utl.?

I still use my card because I also have a 0% APR promo for purchases. Now if I did not have this promo, it's no way I would use any card for purchases that had a BT on it.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.