cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Paypal 5% Foreign Transaction Fee?

tag
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Discover Paypal 5% Foreign Transaction Fee?

Hi,

If I were to spend money using my Discover Credit to pay an international seller in Japan, would there be any FTFs? I'd like to use Paypal to get the 5% but if there are FTFs then I'll just go with my Paypal Mastercard.

ETA: I am planning on using Paypal as the payment method, linking it with my Discover Credit card.

Thanks!

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Paypal 5% Foreign Transaction Fee?

Discover doesn’t charge any FTF on their cards.
Message 2 of 9
SBR249
Established Contributor

Discover may not charge any FTFs but you should double check what currency you will be charged in. I have seen Paypal default to DCC and for some reason, there are cards where you can ask to be charged in the local currency and there are cards where that's not even an option (AmEx iirc). Just make sure you are sure what conversion rate you'll be using if there is currency conversion involved. 

Message 3 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I’ll second that. As long as the transaction is in USD there would never be any fees no matter what card you use. I’ve purchased hundreds of items from Europe and Asia over the years with PayPal.
Message 4 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The last payment I made via Paypal for an international purchase IIRC during checkout I had the option to select where the conversion took place, but there's a separate setting (really hard to find) if your payment will be recurring (note the 'classic' interface):

PaypaldefaultCurrency.png

The only cards I have with a link to this screen are MC and Visa; it's missing for Discover and Amex.  I know American Express doesn't allow DCC anyway, but as far as I know Discover does so it's not clear (to me) how that would work if the billing was recurring.

@MoneyBurns as long as your payment is one-time you should be fine in any case.

Edited to add:  Beware of using the PP MasterCard for overseas Paypal transactions.  There are threads where people reported not being able to opt-out of the conversion being done by PP when the PP MasterCard is used even though the PP MasterCard has no fee (I'll try to find the links).

Message 5 of 9
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

The last payment I made via Paypal for an international purchase IIRC during checkout I had the option to select where the converstion took place, but there's a separate setting (really hard to find) if your payment will be recurring (note the 'classic' interface):

PaypaldefaultCurrency.png

The only cards I have with a link to this screen are MC and Visa; it's missing for Discover and Amex.  I know American Express doesn't allow DCC anyway, but as far as I know Discover does so it's not clear (to me) how that would work if the billing was recurring.

@MoneyBurns as long as your payment is one-time you should be fine in any case.

Edited to add:  Beware of using the PP MasterCard for overseas Paypal transactions.  There are threads where people reported not being able to opt-out of the conversion being done by PP when the PP MasterCard is used even though the PP MasterCard has no fee (I'll try to find the links).

This is because PayPal and Synchrony Bank are in cahoots. When Synchrony Bank offers no FTF on the PayPal 2% Cashback they still get hit with a 1% FTF from MasterCard and have to eat it. To make the relationship better PayPal  will remove the option to chose so there is no 1% FTF from Mastercard and they get to make a slight profit in the conversion with fees at the same time. Sneaky but effective.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 9
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

The currency as listed on their is going to be charged in Japanese Yen.

So if it is going to be in yen is there a conversion fee if I use Discover linked with paypal? It feels a bit confusing to me.

As for Paypal credit card, I can just use the credit card directly if it comes down to a foregin transaction fee.

Thanks!

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 7 of 9
delaney1
Established Contributor

There shouldn’t be a FTF. I haven’t used my Discover card for foreign purchases yet, but my Cap One which also doesn’t charge FTF, has been used many times through PayPal to buy items overseas in euros. I pay in Euros through PayPal and then Cap One converts the charge to dollars with no FTF. So in your case, pay in yen and Discover will convert it to dollars on their end.

If PayPal is showing the charge in US dollars that means they have converted it for you and PayPal will charge you a small percentage for that conversion. Always pay in the foreign currency.
Message 8 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

FTF's are just another way to relieve you of your hard earned cash. They are not necessary at all. Luckily not all cards hammer you with this.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.