Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover - Possible approval, then DENIED

tag
sybo40
Regular Contributor

Discover - Possible approval, then DENIED

In THIS instance, I think I should NOT have called the credit analyst to check the approval/denial status.  I applied online and got to the setup account screen.  Managed to set everything up and then got anxious.  I called in to check the status and was put on hold.  Rep came back and said system is having some difficulty with pulling your account.  Give it a second and call back.  Called back in an hour and she put me on hold for 5-7 mins. then came back and said sorry, declined.  I think that I may have been approved had I not been so anxious to call and just let the system do whatever it was going to do.  Anyone else have this experience?  Current scores (which I need to change in my siggy) are:  EX:  640; TU:  630; EQ:??? (LOWER than the other two, I'm sure).

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: TU: 656; EQ: 607; EX: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover - Possible approval, then DENIED

With those scores, I would not be that you were approved anyway... Not to be offensive. I haven't personally seen anyone with an approval with that range of score. I know I got denied many times with FICOs in that range
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 11
lithium78
Established Contributor

I think you need to be at least in the 650 range to get approved for Discover.  At least that was my score when I was approved.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 3 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I had a 688 when approved which I didnt even think was possible. Used to think they needed a 700+ to be approved
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 11
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

I was approved with 667 with discover but I had a previous au with them I think that helps.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

Definitely possible.

From personal experience, on a Barclay recon, I noticed after a series of questions the analyst noticed (correctly, I might add) it appeared my only motive for applying for the card was purely for the sign-up bonus.  Given my history with them, I had no intention on using their cards afterwards, aside from the prefunctory pack of gum per month.

The app was approved, but not without considerable resistance from the analyst (who tried to find a reason to decline, but in the end couldn't), and with an additional HP which I've never experienced from Barclay's.  This was with 3 prior apps.

On my last Barclay app with "pending review," I knew better than to call for recon, and the card was approved with only the single TU pull 5 days later with full sign-up bonus.  I've also had a similar experience with Chase recently.

Not sure, but recon for is no longer as effective than it had been.  This could be an isolated case for me (given the amount of sign up bonuses I've accrued), or a trend where the CCs are beginning to adjust to the overwhelming amount of "recons" blueprint.

Message 6 of 11
sybo40
Regular Contributor

well, I've decided to just leave everything and everyone alone.  I'm done with Discover and AMEX.  I was doing so good in the garden until...and now that I've wasted an INQ (and I THOUGHT I saw somewhere that someone else went through this same thought process), I feel like I ought to apply for EVERYTHING just to justify the hit...via my frustration from the denial.  LOL 

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: TU: 656; EQ: 607; EX: 642
Goal Score: 700

Message 7 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@sybo40 wrote:

well, I've decided to just leave everything and everyone alone.  I'm done with Discover and AMEX.  I was doing so good in the garden until...and now that I've wasted an INQ (and I THOUGHT I saw somewhere that someone else went through this same thought process), I feel like I ought to apply for EVERYTHING just to justify the hit...via my frustration from the denial.  LOL 

Well, it's good to know where you stand rather than just surmising.

In my view, if I were to app now, with borderline scores, I'd probably let a "pending review" run it's course, and call in for recon after an official declination.  That's exactly what I've done the past two apps and has worked everytime without any fanfare or hassle.

Message 8 of 11
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Just because you were taken to the place where you can create your online account doesn't mean that you were automatically approved.  Your scores are low for them.  If I were you, I would call the backdoor number and try to recon again.  Sometimes getting a different person can help.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 9 of 11
NikJ4
Established Contributor

It happened to me as well. Same ending. Sorry!!!!!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.