Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Pre-Approvals

tag
Sticker
Established Member

Discover Pre-Approvals

My wife got her first Discover Card pre-approval in the mail yesterday.  I honestly have never seen one before come in the mail before.  I know pre-approvals are just generally based for the most part. 

The question is:  Is it common for Discover to send out pre-approvals in the mail or Is it a rare thing and should be jumped on to try and get in the door?  

I joined right out of high school while in the military.  So I am unsure of what advice to give my wife.  Any comments are appreciated thanks.

FIOC's: EQ=745,TU=760 As of 02/06/2013
FAKO's EQ=783,TU=790, EX=795 As of 07/31/2012
Cards Held:
Discover - CL 18k - Joined 1993
Wells Fargo Plat - CL 15k - Joined 2000
AMEX Blue AU - CL 16k - Joined 2005
AMEX Blue Cash - CL 12k - Joined 2012
USAA MC - CL 8k - Joined 2012
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Pre-Approvals

@Sticker wrote:

My wife got her first Discover Card pre-approval in the mail yesterday.  I honestly have never seen one before come in the mail before.  I know pre-approvals are just generally based for the most part. 

The question is:  Is it common for Discover to send out pre-approvals in the mail or Is it a rare thing and should be jumped on to try and get in the door?  

I joined right out of high school while in the military.  So I am unsure of what advice to give my wife.  Any comments are appreciated thanks.

What are your DWs scores?

In my opinion, Discover is a good card to have, but they are tricky on approvals.  I got mine in 1999 while in college so I really don't know what to tell you other than that Chase is doing real good on recons now, and if she's in the ballpark for Discover, she may also be in the ballpark for Chase Freedom.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 8
golo
Frequent Contributor

I just got one today as well,I have the itch big time! But I'm afraid as I'm rebuilding. My scores are EX 644,TU (Wally world) 644,TU (myfico) 666,CK 671,EQ 600.UTIL 11%.
Message 3 of 8
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Pre-approval is definitely a good thing for her if she wants to get in with disc. I checked my credit report a few months back and they had soft pulled me like crazy, sending me offers in the mail like crazy. If the mail offer isn't appealing you can always check your other pre-approved offers on their website so you have more of a choice when it comes to terms, 0% APR time, balances transfer incentives... etc.

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 4 of 8
Sticker
Established Member

My wife has excellent credit scores in low 800's to high 790's.  So qualifying for the card isnt a major issue for her.  She just has never tried for a Discover Card before and got a pre-approval in the mail.  Which I have never seen a single one before.  So I figured I would ask around if it would be a good ideal to go after one or not.  Also if it is rare that Discover sends pre-approvals out in the mail alot.  Any information on Discover in general or the questions asked is great.  Knowledge is always well recieved.

FIOC's: EQ=745,TU=760 As of 02/06/2013
FAKO's EQ=783,TU=790, EX=795 As of 07/31/2012
Cards Held:
Discover - CL 18k - Joined 1993
Wells Fargo Plat - CL 15k - Joined 2000
AMEX Blue AU - CL 16k - Joined 2005
AMEX Blue Cash - CL 12k - Joined 2012
USAA MC - CL 8k - Joined 2012
Message 5 of 8
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

The definately use some sort of voodoo magic when approving.  

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 6 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Sticker wrote:

My wife has excellent credit scores in low 800's to high 790's.  So qualifying for the card isnt a major issue for her.  She just has never tried for a Discover Card before and got a pre-approval in the mail.  Which I have never seen a single one before.  So I figured I would ask around if it would be a good ideal to go after one or not.  Also if it is rare that Discover sends pre-approvals out in the mail alot.  Any information on Discover in general or the questions asked is great.  Knowledge is always well recieved.

This is a little different, but i received a pre-approval for a Discover Personal Loan...   When I went home for lunch it was in my mailbox. The pre approval letter said that since I have excellent credit history with my Discover card, I am pre-approved for a Personal Loan at 7.99%  I have had my discover card, opened since 1999, perfect history. $4200 limit, currently sitting at 0 balance.

I'm not interested in a Personal Loan, and I am opted out.  But it was nice to feel loved.  Too bad they didn't use the Pre-Approval to give me a CLI Smiley Sad

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Sticker wrote:

I don't think it's uncommon.  During the downturn when every lender was cutting back, I received a pre-approval letter from Discover at the 13th month of my then secured credit card.  I'm just guessing your wife would be qualified for a better product (or at least limits) than the More they were supposedly offering me at the time.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.