Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Purchase Protection

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover Purchase Protection

Seems like discover is trying to play the amex game Smiley Happy

I got a letter in the mail saying that I get 90 days protection on accidental breakage for purchases up to 500 bucks.

Also, double warranty on big ticket items.

Anyone else got this letter in the mail today? I thought it was nice and I don't remember discover ever having this before.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Purchase Protection

looks like they're just trying to match amex and visa signiture 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 11
mxp114
Valued Contributor

They recently added a few new benefits to all accounts that were previously only for select accounts. You can view the global suite here https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/ and login for your account specific extras (if any).

Message 3 of 11
sgs10
Regular Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 11
lithium78
Established Contributor

Nice!  That was the one benefit that would have made me consider getting an AMEX.  Now AMEX doesn't really have anything special that would make me want to become a member.  It saves me a hard pull.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lithium78 wrote:

Nice!  That was the one benefit that would have made me consider getting an AMEX.  Now AMEX doesn't really have anything special that would make me want to become a member.  It saves me a hard pull.

I actually have a Discover More and applied for a claim when my iPhone 5 got stolen and pretty much just filled out the paper work, provided receipt, police report and a week later the check arrived in mail. The funny part is that the I received the check about 2 days before I was emailed the decision on the claim. Even with the above, I really think that Amex has Discover beat, with double the protection ($500 limit with Discover and $1000 for Amex), not to mention return protection with Amex for $300 per incident.

To provide a little more info on the claim, I purchased the iPhone for about $900 (64GB no contract) if I had Amex then I would have saved myself $400. Not too sure if it would have been as easy as Discover card claims thought. I guess that just puts me back at close to $0 dollars in reward earned from Discover so far... Smiley Sad LOL

Message 6 of 11
andre181
Established Contributor

I got that letter today too. But I already knew about the extended warranty and purchase protection from Discover.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 7 of 11
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I haven't gotten any email or notification. Is it for everyone?
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 8 of 11
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

That must have just been added! When I last checked a month ago, they just advertised Squaretrade for extending warantys. Now I have coverage on all my cards...sweet!

Message 9 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Weird. Have not received a letter or email either. I thought they already had this feature tho?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.