Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Q1 2017 announced

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Q1 2017 announced

I too am curious what categories people are interested in that aren't very happy with the current Discover lineup.

Message 21 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I see both sides on this (as I so often do). 

I don't have 'huge' spend in any category; the one category that is significant with me is grocery and I have that covered with the BCP year-around so a Discover category wouldn't be useful to me. (I can see how it would be useful to many others, though.)

I also enjoy having six months of 5% off at Amazon, but again if I simply pick up a couple of Amazon gift cards at Kroger not only do I get 6% cash back I also get the fuel points (many months my fuel point savings beats all of my cards, anyway... especially when they are running a 4x promo for gift card purchases).

That being said, I do think it's probably helpful to many that Discover is generally reliable with their categories; it can be helpful if there is a major purchase coming up, especially if one has some flexibility on the timing.  Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 38
happypill
Valued Contributor

Does anyone happen to know if bridge tolls (like Fastrak in the Bay Area) are counted as ground transportation for Discover?

Overall I'm not going to get too much use out of this.  I get my gas at Costco (cheaper than other local stations, exceeding the reward amount for any cards), and the only discount club I shop at is also Costco, which doesn't accept Discover.

Message 23 of 38
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if bridge tolls (like Fastrak in the Bay Area) are counted as ground transportation for Discover?

Overall I'm not going to get too much use out of this.  I get my gas at Costco (cheaper than other local stations, exceeding the reward amount for any cards), and the only discount club I shop at is also Costco, which doesn't accept Discover.

AMEX has coded my Fastrak to transportation. Let's hope Discover does as well. I'll definitely be loading my Cipper card extra these months. 

Message 24 of 38
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I see both sides on this (as I so often do). 

I don't have 'huge' spend in any category; the one category that is significant with me is grocery and I have that covered with the BCP year-around so a Discover category wouldn't be useful to me. (I can see how it would be useful to many others, though.)

I also enjoy having six months of 5% off at Amazon, but again if I simply pick up a couple of Amazon gift cards at Kroger not only do I get 6% cash back I also get the fuel points (many months my fuel point savings beats all of my cards, anyway... especially when they are running a 4x promo for gift card purchases).

That being said, I do think it's probably helpful to many that Discover is generally reliable with their categories; it can be helpful if there is a major purchase coming up, especially if one has some flexibility on the timing.  Smiley Wink

LOL UncleB...I love your posts...you always give the "safe' answers, Smiley Wink 

Message 25 of 38
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@lhcole77 wrote:

So for everyone who wants more originality, what would you like to see? What would not be "meh" in your books?

Restaurants and Amazon each quarter would work fine for me personallySmiley Happy.  I guess I am just thinking about myself and my needs! Smiley Tongue

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for posting the Q1 categories. I like the predictable boring categories personally. I'll take 10% back (1st year with card) on gas anyday of the week!

Message 27 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

Sorry to say, I think it's highly doubtful this will work on tolls. I base this on the fine print of the offer, and also that in a previous quarter when Discover offered Ground Transportation as a category, I tried doing a refill of my IPass toll account (which has counted for offers on other cards which specifically included tolls), Discover did not give me 5%.  This time could be different...but I doubt it.

Chris.

P.S. If you're looking for trolls, not tolls, I think many department stores are selling troll dolls, and you should be able to pick those up with 5% cashback through the end of *this* quarter.  But only trolls, not tolls.

Message 28 of 38
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

So for everyone who wants more originality, what would you like to see? What would not be "meh" in your books?

Restaurants and Amazon each quarter would work fine for me personallySmiley Happy.  I guess I am just thinking about myself and my needs! Smiley Tongue

Add airlines and hotels. 

Message 29 of 38
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

+1    I eat on the go a lot so restaurants each quarter would be awesome!

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.