Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Q3 Category Announced

To each their ownSmiley Wink
Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@northface28 wrote:
I am simply astonshised at the amount of you that eat this fast food crap. I lost close to 30 lbs just cutting fast food. It could be 50% cash back and It'll be a hard pass for me.

Is he trolling or does he actually think that all restaurants are fast food..

Message 32 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@northface28 wrote:
I am simply astonshised at the amount of you that eat this fast food crap. I lost close to 30 lbs just cutting fast food. It could be 50% cash back and It'll be a hard pass for me.

Who said anything about fast food?  Glad you lost 30 lbs, by whatever method you used.. I probably am to small to lose 30 lbs, but lets say 15 lbs I can lose that eating out healthy as well.  It all depends on what you eat, not every place is MC D's, BK and the likes.  

One nice steak dinner and a glass or two of wine can easily be $150 just right there.. It all comes down to what you choose to use some of your disposable income on.  I work hard and enjoy at least one really nice meal per week out on the town.

Message 33 of 42
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

The only use my Discover has gotten this quarter is cleaning products and bottled water from Home Depot. I'm $3K out of my $4K spend on CSP at the moment so that's where the lions share of my spend has been.

Dusting the Discover off in July and my 1st year ends in September. Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 42
Mrm-na
New Contributor

Discover's categories don't change much.  Q4 will almost certainly be Amazon and Department Stores.  Those have been covered in Q4 for many years (maybe since the "It" card came out).

Q4 used to be Internet Shopping and Department Stores, but the "Internet" part was sadly nerfed to Amazon. That used to be the best category of the year, but I guess it was costing them a ton of money.

Department Stores thus far has remained intact, hopefully they don't nerf it down to a specific list of major stores, as Chase has been fond of doing on some of their categories.

Q3 used to be gas stations, which was a better time for it IMO.  They flipped gas and restaurants so that gas would come in Q1 when people don't drive as much.

I make repeating major purchases which code as "Home Improvement", so I usually max out that quarter.  I used to be able to do it twice per year by also using the "Internet" category, but that's gone and I doubt it will ever come back.

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Wonder if you can buy giftcards at McDonald's?
LOL, that's the one way I can see this category being useful to me. Maybe they sell Arco cards at Starbucks or something.
Otherwise.. restaurants are just a waste of money for me.
Message 35 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guessing the "may" in the line about mobile wallets "may" not count is going to be a rare thing. I eat st McDonald's at least 4-5X a week, use Apple Pay every time, and it is always coded as fast food. I guess we will see but I would not worry about it.

Re: the comment about losing weight. Did you hear about that teacher who made a study with his class. He had to eat at McDonald's daily- 2 value meals per day. Could be Breakfast lunch or dinner. The third meal he could eat whatever he wanted but he had to eat the 3rd.

After the year was over he lost a fair amount of weight. Can't Remember the number but it was significant.

Anyway, I think just as some who have a metabolism that cannot handle eating this type of food without being huge-there are some who could eat it daily and not gain anything.

I eat whatever I want and admittedly do not eat very healthy... but I never gain weight and am always in the low end of BMI and weight for my age.

Whom ever said to each his own.... could not agree more.
Message 36 of 42
happypill
Valued Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

Reminds me of that South Park episode with the Prius drivers who were so smug that they would bend down and smell their own farts because it was so sweet smelling.

Anyhow, dining is an excellent category for me.  Definitely one of my top 5 spending categories.  Thanks for sharing!

Message 37 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg that episode cracked me up. Funny. That made my afternoon. Now I need to watch that.
Message 38 of 42
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@happypill wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

Reminds me of that South Park episode with the Prius drivers who were so smug that they would bend down and smell their own farts because it was so sweet smelling.

Anyhow, dining is an excellent category for me.  Definitely one of my top 5 spending categories.  Thanks for sharing!

Now, I would have loved to have seen that Smiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 39 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this. Very glad to see Resturants.  I am kind of disappointed it won't be Amazon for both the 3rd and the 4tth quarter. It makes me want to leave the garden to apply for the Amazon card. I've been holding off hoping Amazon would be more than just the last quarter. But we do eat out once a week so that is a big plus.

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.