Established Contributor

Re: Discover Q4 5% includes eBay/PayPal

That's a nice trick.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 11 of 16
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

So you can use PayPal and then use your discover card as the method of payment? Coooool

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 12 of 16
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

From what it says you can.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 13 of 16
Mrm-na
New Contributor

Paypal definitely works.  I used Paypal a few weeks ago to buy some stuff from a web site (not eBay) and gave Paypal the Discover card as payment method.  I definitely got the 5% reward on it - it was my first charge on the card and there's nothing else I could be confusing it with.

However, I made another Paypal payment with the same card to pay for service fees on another site, and it hasn't given 5% yet.

Technically services don't qualify, so that could be the reason.  However, I doubt Discover can tell the difference - seems to me that both just look like payments sent to Paypal, and they wouldn't know any more than that.  Both of the Paypal transactions are shown by Discover as "services", including the one that was actually merchandise (and has since posted a 5% rebate).  I'm guessing that the other transaction will eventually get 5%, but is just taking a long time to process.

Does Discover only total the rebates when they finalize a monthly statement?  Because that would also explain it.

Message 14 of 16
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@Mrm-na wrote:

Paypal definitely works.  I used Paypal a few weeks ago to buy some stuff from a web site (not eBay) and gave Paypal the Discover card as payment method.  I definitely got the 5% reward on it - it was my first charge on the card and there's nothing else I could be confusing it with.

However, I made another Paypal payment with the same card to pay for service fees on another site, and it hasn't given 5% yet.

Technically services don't qualify, so that could be the reason.  However, I doubt Discover can tell the difference - seems to me that both just look like payments sent to Paypal, and they wouldn't know any more than that.  Both of the Paypal transactions are shown by Discover as "services", including the one that was actually merchandise (and has since posted a 5% rebate).  I'm guessing that the other transaction will eventually get 5%, but is just taking a long time to process.

Does Discover only total the rebates when they finalize a monthly statement?  Because that would also explain it.

Yup...Gotta wait til the close of the statement to see anything

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 15 of 16
jumpinjax
New Contributor

the thing about IT redemption is it comes in $50 increments.  I only have over $20 for gas purchases the last quarter. Smiley Surprised

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.