Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Retention Offer is Amazing!

tag
MeN5
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover Retention Offer aaaaaye!!!

@GApeachy  no i was never balance chased.

Message 21 of 31
MeN5
Regular Contributor

@Physh1  @Wavester64 @Jannelo  I feel that was over looked for offers and denied Clis in which the retention rep totally agreed and couldnt figure out why as it made no since to her. Now I know some of you will argue about what's fair and not fair and that's fine everyone opinions are different whats acceptable to you may not be for someone else. I figured if I was deemed worthy by my other cards for large increase that im not accepting no from Discover so I shall see by June 17th if its increased if not ill be closing that card  im down to 5 cards but would rather have 3 no more than 4 and this is coming from 13 at the highest.

Message 22 of 31
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

So you have 2 bankrupcies reporting and a new baddie? This is likely why...you also say you're also carrying a high balance. All 3 of these variables appear high risk. Your other posts recently, like your $500 approval from NFCU support this. I would seriously consider slowing down & looking at your current profile with unbiased eyes.

Was your discover card a secured version? It sounds like it is...you need to be patient or move on. I would also be very careful canceling a card 1 month after getting an account credit of $50 & a nice retention boost on rewards.

Message 23 of 31
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@MeN5 wrote:

@Physh1  @Wavester64 @Jannelo  I feel that was over looked for offers and denied Clis in which the retention rep totally agreed and couldnt figure out why as it made no since to her. Now I know some of you will argue about what's fair and not fair and that's fine everyone opinions are different whats acceptable to you may not be for someone else. I figured if I was deemed worthy by my other cards for large increase that im not accepting no from Discover so I shall see by June 17th if its increased if not ill be closing that card  im down to 5 cards but would rather have 3 no more than 4 and this is coming from 13 at the highest.

You're rebuilding, you were (dont know about now) struggling with utilization, even at the time they not only graduated your card, but also gave you an increase. I remember your posts from RYC. 

I think Discover has treated you more than fairly.

Message 24 of 31
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

@MeN5 wrote:

I would be upset if no there's no immediate CLI, but an 8% category card/4% all-other-categories card I wouldn't close.   I would be using the heck out of it and just PIF.  Maybe you have comparable cards, though,  or it's just a matter of principle at this point.  As a rebuilder myself, I would be estatic.

Anyway, congratulations!

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 25 of 31
Remedios
Credit Mentor

They are not going to close. 

Message 26 of 31
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover Retention Offer is Amazing!

Don't bite off your nose to spite your face. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Retention Offer is Amazing!

@coldfusion, I couldn't help but laugh at that visual.  What kind of INHUMAN would you have to be to be able to bite off your own freaking nose?  Of course, I know what you meant  to say, but still...too funny!

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MeN5, you have all the info on this site at your disposal to handle that debt (if in fact it is of the zombie variety).  That's good news.  Now let's check out some of the facts of your Discover "situation" for a moment (before you bite off your nose, as @coldfusion said):

1) Discover granted you a $200 sl (unsecured) while you had 2 bankruptcies and a few other baddies on your credit reports

2) Discover increased your credit limit--by 7.5 times--to $1500 January 2019 with said negative accounts still on your reports

3) Discover just gave you an unheard of 8% category and 4% on everything else for 6 months...to keep your business

4) Discover just gave you a $50 credit, in addition to the unheard of rewards card offer....to keep your business

Call me crazy, but if that's getting treated "unfairly", then I don't want to be treated fairly by Discover.  Of course you're right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, BUT everyone is not entitled to their own facts.  You're smart, right?  You know that credit issuers don't OWE any of us anything.  You know that credit issuers are in business to make money and their decisions to extend credit, by and large, are based on risk (of not getting paid back) vs reward (of getting swipes, interest & fees paid, etc).  Be honest with yourself, if you were Discover, how would you view someone with a credit profile like yours?

If you were to close this account would it really be a on principle OR would it be because of something illogical?  Are you really going to spite yourself (because closing your account won't mean a thing to Discover)?  Humor me, name 1 credit issuer who is treating you better than Discover.  All the best!

Message 29 of 31
MeN5
Regular Contributor

@Physh1 Only 2 bk on exp 1 is fallin off in nov my uti is 1 % it was a secured card but graduated in jan 2019 no bk shows on trans and  1 shows on eq the baddie is not new just resurfaced itself after 5 years always been there

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.