Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduation?

tag
gjean78
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover Secured Graduation?

I open a secured credit card in the middle of November, I put a 300 dollar deposit on the card. I use the card very openly like it was a regular credit card, I use it for all my daily spending, and my utility bill such as phone bill, insurance bill then I would make multiple payments through out the months, 3 days before the statement cut, I make sure I leave a zero balance or a 20 dollars balance, I usually don't use the card during that 3 days period. I wait after the statement cut before I use it. my 7th statement cut about 3 days ago. today when I open the discovery app I see my credit limit go up to 2000 dollars. I was so excited to see it get graduated that early. I started with TU 544, EQ 544, Ex 529 less then a year ago, now my credit scores are 635 all across the board now. I recently got approved for a cash reward from navy federal with a huge credit limit of 20000 dollars. it worth it to rebuilding your credit the end product feel really good

Message 131 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 7th statement will come on June 19th....hoping to hear good news! Reading this has me nervous on if it will graduate on time or put me in the holding pattern when its uncertain to graduate.

Message 132 of 610
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

My 7th statement will come on June 19th....hoping to hear good news! Reading this has me nervous on if it will graduate on time or put me in the holding pattern when its uncertain to graduate.

If you've had no payment issues, no going over the limit and your utilization is in check, you should not worry about the graduating process. 

Most cards that did not graduate had at least one of the issues listed above. 

Message 133 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that Capital One is going to hurt me with the overall utilization due to a chargeoff last year. Trying to get it paid off so that it lowers my usage all together before the 19th. For the two cards that are active, one normally is at 0 and the other charged like $5 to carry a balance so that I show usage. I think that's why I'm so nervous about it. 

Message 134 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 7th statement cut on the 5th and I did NOT graduate. Smiley Sad. Never had payment problems and I always PIF. I am guessing it's because a few months ago I accidentally went over my limit by using gas at the pump , easy to do since only $200 limit. I immediately paid it but I guess damage was already done.
Message 135 of 610
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous Your in Miss Disco's doghouse... I wouldnt expect a graduation for at least 3 more months to more likely 6+... Sorry about that...

-J

Message 136 of 610
JTC-137
Regular Contributor

Statement #14 cuts today with no sign of graduating yet. Never late, over the limit, etc. In that time my navy card graduated in 5mo and they also issued a 15k Amex. I do have a bk on file tho so maybe that’s the holdup. Discover wasn’t IIB, in fact I had a good standing account with them several years ago and I later closed it. Funny thing is I’m pre-approved for the unsecured chrome, IT and miles @ 20.24%. Not too worried about it just find the automated decision process somewhat peculiar
Message 137 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

My secured graduated yesterday (6/10/19) morning, after 7 statements + 3 days. Got the congratulations email last night.
Opened November 2018 with $200 limit.
Added to the limit +$200, total of $400.
Graduated with a $1600 credit limit increase. Limit now $2000
I used the heck out of my card, making multiple payments a month. Only carried a small ($20) balance twice, paid it right after statement cut.
I did NOT use the card in between payment due date and statement date.

Have a chapter 7 bk that was DCd in October 2018. No collections. 13 lates on student loans showing 90-120 from 2013-2014, and 3 showing in 2017.
Scores and cards in my siggy.
Message 138 of 610
mikeym5541

had my $2500 secured for 2.5 years and never graduated. would put ~5k a month on the card, paying every couple days, never any payment issues. cancelled the card and prequalified for unsecured $5000 a week later. very frustrating.

Message 139 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jtc-137 I have a Bk as well, but then I see others have graduated with a bk. Not sure what disco's hang up is. But, I am just going to keep trucking along and hope I have better luck with nfcu.
Message 140 of 610
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.