Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Secured Graduation?

Never had a returned payment and I did try to prequal for an unsecured and was turned down.  My TU score according to both Discover and NFCU is 655 so I'm not really sure what the deal is.

Message 161 of 610
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous 640-650 is just when Discos usually unsecure...  Do you have any baddies or new cards recently? Somethings not quite adding up... Need a little more information about your profile....

Yes your going on a year or close to it..... there is something Miss Disco doesn't like....  and a 5K approval on NFCU is not a great comparison... NFCU tends to be on the more generous and forgiving side as long as you dont burn them... 

-J

Message 162 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I think the former poster was saying that had a discharged BK reporting. I have a feeling that the BK might be holding them back. And we all know Disco is a fickle mistress with mysterious ways. :-)
Message 163 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only baddies were from before the BK.  We have established our credit quite nicely since the discharge and now that I have the NFCU card with a pretty generous SL, I will be able to close my Merrick Bank card and thus I will have no more subprime cards; just the Discover, my wife's NFCU that I am an AU on, and my new NFCU.  My wife doesn't have any subprime cards either; just her Discover (nonsecured), and two NFCU cards.

Message 164 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Unfortunately, the one thing our collective Discover secured card experiences seem to confirm is that the unsecuring process is highly automated, if not completely automated. You may just be up against some computer algorithm, which is holding your BK date or the baddies before the BK against you based on timing or other factors. My baddies were about 2 years old when I got the Discover secured card. I still didn't graduate until my 11th sattement. It coincided with one of the baddies getting deleted with TU as well as my score going up. Not sure what caused it, but the experiences with this card vary widely in terms of how long it takes to get unsecured.

Message 165 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my conversations with Discover it's totally automated as they tell me they have no way to graduate me manually.  Oh well, I'll let it get to another year and if I'm still graduated by then I may just close the card.  Heck, if I don't use it maybe they will close it for me....

Message 166 of 610
soccrstar
New Contributor

I've had My secured discover since july 2017. it still has NOT unecured. 

My bank of america cards unsecured after 3 years (fully secured) for 1 and 4 years (99 for 500 partially secured) for the other.

I guess discover is following in bank of americas foot steps

wellsfargo refuses to unsecure. i'm at 5-7 years secured.

My fico8 are 703 EQ, 702 TU, 688 EX

I have a Navcheck 4500, NFCU nrewards @ 4k unsecured, NFCU go rewards @ 5300, paypal smart connect @ 3500, amazon store card @ 3000, target at 1200. Bank of america cash rewards @ 1500, Boa Platinum @ 1000, and bunch of toy cards. 

guess they don't like me.

EQ: 632 FICO8 / EX: 622 FICO8 / TU: 648 FICO8 / EQ: 648 FICO9 / EX: 652 FICO9 / TU: 624 FICO9 / Credit Karma: 633 Transunion 622 Equifax / Credit Sesame 633 / Positive Open Loan Tradelines: Auto loan $42000 / NEWEST CARD - Don't Remember / goal by 2019: 650 or more FICO8 across the board
Message 167 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine just graduated last night. I was at a $400 SL and now I have $2500. I'm curious to know what is the highest limit anyone has received after graduation.

Message 168 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a $2,500 limit after graduation as well. I only had a $200 secured limit while it was secured.
Message 169 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it Secured

My Discover it secured was just unsecured yesterday. My CLI to $2,500. I have always been curious to know if anyone has received a higher limit after there card unsecured. 

Message 170 of 610
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.