cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odds of Discover secured graduation?

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

Thanks for the input! I'm also signed up for Credit Karma, and they suggested the Cap1 Platinum, so I checked the pre-qualify page at Cap1. They pre-qualified me for the Platinum, but I didnt want to apply as I'm currently still paying off my last Cap1 C/O, which I believe was their Platinum card. Maybe I'll reconsider once the paid off balances are updated with the 3 bureaus.

you should get a cap1 secured card to build your profile. 

Cap one secured card does not graduate and they whack you with a triple pull.  It's really not a great card.

@recoveringfrombk7   I agree that the triple pull is aweful, they did used to graduate, and could go back to that again. It seems like an ebb and flow with them of sometimes they will let them graduate, and sometimes they won't, same goes with combining cards too. 

Message 371 of 610
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

Thanks for the input! I'm also signed up for Credit Karma, and they suggested the Cap1 Platinum, so I checked the pre-qualify page at Cap1. They pre-qualified me for the Platinum, but I didnt want to apply as I'm currently still paying off my last Cap1 C/O, which I believe was their Platinum card. Maybe I'll reconsider once the paid off balances are updated with the 3 bureaus.

Cap one secured card does not graduate and they whack you with a triple pull.  It's really not a great card.

@recoveringfrombk7   I agree that the triple pull is aweful, they did used to graduate, and could go back to that again. It seems like an ebb and flow with them of sometimes they will let them graduate, and sometimes they won't, same goes with combining cards too. 

It's a big investment for a maybe when other banks offer potential graduation, or take an AF but don't use a HP.  Just think better to wait for unsecured with cap one or go a diff route if going secure. 

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 372 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

LOL yes. They have it at 716! I clicked the CLI button after it appeared, but was denied. My statement cuts tonight, so I'll try again tomorrow morning. Maybe their system doesn't update until after the statement cuts? Also, I paid it down to a $0 balance this month so maybe that will persuade them, haha.

WOOHOO! That's a big jump in your score (39 points?)! The CLI will come soon, I'm sure. Great work!

Well @cr101, I gave it a shot this afternoon. Despite gaining 39 points on my credit score, despite getting 1 of 2 remaining negative items on my TU deleted, despite paying Discover down to $0, and despite getting my overall utilization down to less than 10%, Miss Disco DENIED ME AGAIN! She really is a fickle mistress.

Message 373 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Ok, I am apparently going to have to eat my words about Miss Disco. I tried the CLI button tonight and got approved for a $300 CLI! I was happy to see any increase at all, TBH. But I was expecting a little something more, so I called in for the double dip. I was not worried about them asking for tax forms or anything, because I have spent like $36,000 on this card since I opened it. I got through to their credit department and explained to the lady how much I have spent on the card and that I always pay in full, and she said she was going to modify my increase to give me $1,000 instead of $300! So I came out of this with a $1,000 CLI! Below are the screen shots after the initial CLI and then the screen shot after the double dip.

My last statement cut on 2/23, and today is 2/26. So I think increases are sort of like graduation because it can take several days after the statement cuts for the new data to refresh into their system. So I guess I had been getting denied based on last month's data until I tried again today.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.08.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.18.18 PM.png

Message 374 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover secure card grads reunion

Fico score was 560 at 04/2018 and 701 at graduation.

Secured CL:
 $1000

CL at graduation: $2000

Card open date: 04/2018

Card graduation date: 02/2020

Post-graduate info: Nothing yet will update.

Message 375 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Fico score was 560 at 04/2018 and 701 at graduation.

Secured CL:
 $1000

CL at graduation: $2000

Card open date: 04/2018

Card graduation date: 02/2020

Post-graduate info: Nothing yet will update.

Congratulations!!!! That's quite a score jump during the time you've had the card.

Message 376 of 610
T_Lab_89
Contributor

This will be my 11 month coming up. Closes 3/2 and cuts 3/5. I noticed I had a returned payment back in May 2019 due to error in bank number so this is probably why I haven't graduated (I didn't think about the effect it could have on graduation at the time so I didn't bother with it and just paid correctly the next day). I asked for it to be reversed and they reversed the $27 return fee but I don't know that it will help. Time will tell. 

April 2019 (4 collections)
EQ - 563
TU - 586
EX - 578
March 2022 (0 collections)
EQ - 670
TU - 690
EX - 691
Message 377 of 610
cr101
Established Contributor

@T_Lab_89 wrote:

This will be my 11 month coming up. Closes 3/2 and cuts 3/5. I noticed I had a returned payment back in May 2019 due to error in bank number so this is probably why I haven't graduated (I didn't think about the effect it could have on graduation at the time so I didn't bother with it and just paid correctly the next day). I asked for it to be reversed and they reversed the $27 return fee but I don't know that it will help. Time will tell. 

never hurts to call and inquire. they say that they review your account for grad every month. maybe remind them that it was a simple error that you fixed the next day. was your payment actually late?

Message 378 of 610
T_Lab_89
Contributor

No. I've never been late or over my limit.

EQ - 563
TU - 586
EX - 578
EQ - 670
TU - 690
EX - 691
Message 379 of 610
T_Lab_89
Contributor

I tried through the online chat to remove the "returned payment" notation and they would not. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to bounce back from that error. What a shame. I'm to blame though.

EQ - 563
TU - 586
EX - 578
EQ - 670
TU - 690
EX - 691
Message 380 of 610
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.