Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Graduation! Data points!

@Anonymous wrote:

Card graduated 2 days after 7th statement.

There was no CLI (I wonder if covid was a factor)

I did try to request a CLI via the app and was instantly declined and a letter will be sent with the reasons why.

I did not receive an email. I called and the rep said my account had graduated and I should be expecting a check within 7-10 business days.

Account was opened with a deposit of $800 then I gradually deposited money each month until the account reached $2500.

PIF every month.

TU FICO: 761

Equifax: 758

Experian: 754

Income: 200k

Congrats on the graduation.    

I started at the base 200 and mine graduated at the 7th month like yours without CLI either.  This was in 2017, so i would say it's based more on profile and usage then other world factors.  As always, YMMV

Message 481 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received my graduation and CLI this morning.  Opened account Nov 2nd with $400 deposit.  Had 560 credit when opened.  Have 671 now.  Credit Limit raised to $2000.  

Message 482 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious if anyone had any other single card or more with 90% + utilization and graduated at some point

Message 483 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

My card graduated this morning after a year and 6 months. I had to file bankruptcy 2 years ago. I think that's why it took so long to graduate. 

Experian score was 549 when I first started rebuilding my credit. The highest Ive ever gotten that score was 649. As of today it's 623.

My Equifax score was 595 when I first started. It's 652 now

My TransUnion score is was 510 when I first started now it's 609.

My credit limit went from 200 to 1800!! 🙌🙌

Message 484 of 610
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My card graduated this morning after a year and 6 months. I had to file bankruptcy 2 years ago. I think that's why it took so long to graduate. 

Experian score was 549 when I first started rebuilding my credit. The highest Ive ever gotten that score was 649. As of today it's 623.

Congrats on your graduation. I become eligible next month, I hope to join you then. Good job on improving your score too. Cheers. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 485 of 610
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Dont recall seeing this in this long thread but think it should be brought up... 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

This is also why sometimes you can sometimes be eligible/qualify for  a new card from Discover after a year, but still haven't graduated yet!

Also... another thing... (know it doesnt help some)...

Discover is actually pretty quick to graduate if your eligible.... a lot of cards require at least 12 months to even 18mo if they graduate at all....

Know its hard to wait it out.... but i dont see why folks don't at least give them at least a year to graduate... if not. can try prequalifying if it doesnt graduate for a new card and just close the old one...  

As to the stragglers, theres something else involving your credit report or they havent seen enough progress to graduate you... Only solution to that is time and cleaning up some baddies if there are any....

-J

Message 486 of 610
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your Graduation and CLISmiley Happy

Message 487 of 610
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Dont recall seeing this in this long thread but think it should be brought up... 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

This is also why sometimes you can sometimes be eligible/qualify for  a new card from Discover after a year, but still haven't graduated yet!

Also... another thing... (know it doesnt help some)...

Discover is actually pretty quick to graduate if your eligible.... a lot of cards require at least 12 months to even 18mo if they graduate at all....

Know its hard to wait it out.... but i dont see why folks don't at least give them at least a year to graduate... if not. can try prequalifying if it doesnt graduate for a new card and just close the old one...  

As to the stragglers, theres something else involving your credit report or they havent seen enough progress to graduate you... Only solution to that is time and cleaning up some baddies if there are any....

-J

I graduated at 14 months (had 2500 secured, no CLI at graduation despite heavy use), but at 12 pre-qualified for 19.99% and a 14.5k limit.  So very much this.  I just also got a pCLI on the old secured card (2500 -> 3200) as well as 9 months at 0.9%.  So eventually it seems you can clear a bucket?  @joltdude thanks again with all of the info/help as I went.  I stuck it out because of you/your advice.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 488 of 610
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Yeah, that's what I did when Discover didn't graduate me on my Discover Chrome Secured; checked for a prequalification offer, saw I had one, took the plunge and got a DiscoverIt with a 5k limit, giving me an extra year of Cashback Match, plus 14 months of 0% APR. Closed the Chrome.

I'm going to end up with something like $200+ in Cashback Match over two years. That's the equivalent of a solid SUB for a no-AF card, plus there was no "spend $2000 in 3 months" hoop I had to jump through.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 489 of 610
rudolphreindeer
Regular Contributor

Is it dangerous to make a big transaction (funding new bank account) on Discover Secured just before my graduation time? My 7th statement is closing tomorrow. And I am opening new bank account now, have to pay initial funding. If I make $2,4k after this statement, with my credit limit of $2,5k, will it be a risk for the graduation?

FICO® Score 8 (Apr 2021)
EX 764 | EQ 771 | TU 800

TCL: $72,900
INQs in last (6 m./12 m.)
EX (2/2) | EQ (0/2) | TU (0/1)
Message 490 of 610
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.