cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduation?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Odds of Discover secured graduation?


@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

Thanks for the input! I'm also signed up for Credit Karma, and they suggested the Cap1 Platinum, so I checked the pre-qualify page at Cap1. They pre-qualified me for the Platinum, but I didnt want to apply as I'm currently still paying off my last Cap1 C/O, which I believe was their Platinum card. Maybe I'll reconsider once the paid off balances are updated with the 3 bureaus.


you should get a cap1 secured card to build your profile. 

 

 


Cap one secured card does not graduate and they whack you with a triple pull.  It's really not a great card.


@recoveringfrombk7   I agree that the triple pull is aweful, they did used to graduate, and could go back to that again. It seems like an ebb and flow with them of sometimes they will let them graduate, and sometimes they won't, same goes with combining cards too. 






Message 341 of 402
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Odds of Discover secured graduation?


@Jago22 wrote:

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

Thanks for the input! I'm also signed up for Credit Karma, and they suggested the Cap1 Platinum, so I checked the pre-qualify page at Cap1. They pre-qualified me for the Platinum, but I didnt want to apply as I'm currently still paying off my last Cap1 C/O, which I believe was their Platinum card. Maybe I'll reconsider once the paid off balances are updated with the 3 bureaus.


you should get a cap1 secured card to build your profile. 

 

 


Cap one secured card does not graduate and they whack you with a triple pull.  It's really not a great card.


@recoveringfrombk7   I agree that the triple pull is aweful, they did used to graduate, and could go back to that again. It seems like an ebb and flow with them of sometimes they will let them graduate, and sometimes they won't, same goes with combining cards too. 


It's a big investment for a maybe when other banks offer potential graduation, or take an AF but don't use a HP.  Just think better to wait for unsecured with cap one or go a diff route if going secure. 







Message 342 of 402
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Odds of Discover secured graduation?


@cr101 wrote:

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

Thanks for the input! I'm also signed up for Credit Karma, and they suggested the Cap1 Platinum, so I checked the pre-qualify page at Cap1. They pre-qualified me for the Platinum, but I didnt want to apply as I'm currently still paying off my last Cap1 C/O, which I believe was their Platinum card. Maybe I'll reconsider once the paid off balances are updated with the 3 bureaus.


you should get a cap1 secured card to build your profile. 

 

 


LOL yes. They have it at 716! I clicked the CLI button after it appeared, but was denied. My statement cuts tonight, so I'll try again tomorrow morning. Maybe their system doesn't update until after the statement cuts? Also, I paid it down to a $0 balance this month so maybe that will persuade them, haha.


WOOHOO! That's a big jump in your score (39 points?)! The CLI will come soon, I'm sure. Great work!


Well @cr101, I gave it a shot this afternoon. Despite gaining 39 points on my credit score, despite getting 1 of 2 remaining negative items on my TU deleted, despite paying Discover down to $0, and despite getting my overall utilization down to less than 10%, Miss Disco DENIED ME AGAIN! She really is a fickle mistress.

Message 343 of 402
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Odds of Discover secured graduation?

Ok, I am apparently going to have to eat my words about Miss Disco. I tried the CLI button tonight and got approved for a $300 CLI! I was happy to see any increase at all, TBH. But I was expecting a little something more, so I called in for the double dip. I was not worried about them asking for tax forms or anything, because I have spent like $36,000 on this card since I opened it. I got through to their credit department and explained to the lady how much I have spent on the card and that I always pay in full, and she said she was going to modify my increase to give me $1,000 instead of $300! So I came out of this with a $1,000 CLI! Below are the screen shots after the initial CLI and then the screen shot after the double dip.

 

My last statement cut on 2/23, and today is 2/26. So I think increases are sort of like graduation because it can take several days after the statement cuts for the new data to refresh into their system. So I guess I had been getting denied based on last month's data until I tried again today.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.08.02 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.18.18 PM.png

 

Message 344 of 402
Highlighted
New Visitor

Re: Discover secure card grads reunion

Fico score was 560 at 04/2018 and 701 at graduation.


Secured CL:
 $1000

CL at graduation: $2000

Card open date: 04/2018

Card graduation date: 02/2020

Post-graduate info: Nothing yet will update.

Message 345 of 402
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover secure card grads reunion


@LMartin710 wrote:

Fico score was 560 at 04/2018 and 701 at graduation.


Secured CL:
 $1000

CL at graduation: $2000

Card open date: 04/2018

Card graduation date: 02/2020

Post-graduate info: Nothing yet will update.


Congratulations!!!! That's quite a score jump during the time you've had the card.

Message 346 of 402
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Discover secure card grads reunion

This will be my 11 month coming up. Closes 3/2 and cuts 3/5. I noticed I had a returned payment back in May 2019 due to error in bank number so this is probably why I haven't graduated (I didn't think about the effect it could have on graduation at the time so I didn't bother with it and just paid correctly the next day). I asked for it to be reversed and they reversed the $27 return fee but I don't know that it will help. Time will tell. 

April 2019 (4 collections)
EQ - 563
TU - 586
EX - 578


March 2020 (0 collections)
EQ - 605
TU - 672
EX - 671
Message 347 of 402
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover secure card grads reunion


@T_Lab_89 wrote:

This will be my 11 month coming up. Closes 3/2 and cuts 3/5. I noticed I had a returned payment back in May 2019 due to error in bank number so this is probably why I haven't graduated (I didn't think about the effect it could have on graduation at the time so I didn't bother with it and just paid correctly the next day). I asked for it to be reversed and they reversed the $27 return fee but I don't know that it will help. Time will tell. 


never hurts to call and inquire. they say that they review your account for grad every month. maybe remind them that it was a simple error that you fixed the next day. was your payment actually late?

Message 348 of 402
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Discover secure card grads reunion

No. I've never been late or over my limit.

April 2019 (4 collections)
EQ - 563
TU - 586
EX - 578


March 2020 (0 collections)
EQ - 605
TU - 672
EX - 671
Message 349 of 402
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Discover secure card grads reunion

I tried through the online chat to remove the "returned payment" notation and they would not. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to bounce back from that error. What a shame. I'm to blame though.

April 2019 (4 collections)
EQ - 563
TU - 586
EX - 578


March 2020 (0 collections)
EQ - 605
TU - 672
EX - 671
Message 350 of 402
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.