Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduation?

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Secured Graduation?

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!! Got unsecured at my first chance. CL increase from $500 to $2000. Some data points: opened card 9/19 with a $300 deposit. First month's statement caught me by surprise and so i ended up with $155 on my first statement. Other than that first statement, I've kept a zero balance except for one month which i left $29 on the account. Never over the limit, no late payments. My TU score (through Discover FICO Credit Scorecard) was 551 in 10/19, and gradually increased ending up at 607 this month 4/20. As mentioned in a recent post, I've gotten my credit card (closed accounts) debt down to $1800 from just over $5000 during this time. In March (03/20) I deposited an additional $200 for my secured limit to be increased to $500. During this time, this has been my only active credit card, but i did have one other account, a Self Lender CD, which has been paid on time each month. My secured card got a fair amount of use, $2594 over the seven statements. Hope this information helps. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Congrats on your CLI, score increases, and paying down your debt!

Mind sharing your closing and grad dates?

@RehabbingANDBlabbing How is your TU over 100 pts higher than your other scores? Congrats on reaching over 800, BTW! Smiley Happy

Message 441 of 610
CLARKakaSIX
Established Member

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!! Got unsecured at my first chance. CL increase from $500 to $2000. Some data points: opened card 9/19 with a $300 deposit. First month's statement caught me by surprise and so i ended up with $155 on my first statement. Other than that first statement, I've kept a zero balance except for one month which i left $29 on the account. Never over the limit, no late payments. My TU score (through Discover FICO Credit Scorecard) was 551 in 10/19, and gradually increased ending up at 607 this month 4/20. As mentioned in a recent post, I've gotten my credit card (closed accounts) debt down to $1800 from just over $5000 during this time. In March (03/20) I deposited an additional $200 for my secured limit to be increased to $500. During this time, this has been my only active credit card, but i did have one other account, a Self Lender CD, which has been paid on time each month. My secured card got a fair amount of use, $2594 over the seven statements. Hope this information helps. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

No problem. Closing date is the 11th, but that fell on a saturday so my statement didnt cut until monday the 13th. Wednesday the 15th 10pm EST I got an email about the CL increase and my deposit being returned.

Message 442 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!!

Message 443 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

@RehabbingANDBlabbing How is your TU over 100 pts higher than your other scores? Congrats on reaching over 800, BTW! Smiley Happy

@cr101 I have recently gotten all negatives/inaccurate items removed from my TU report. I also just got news yesterday that my Equifax is also clean now, but I have not yet pulled my new score because there is 1 remaining error that EQ actually added during my last dispute. After that is fixed, I am betting my EQ score will be in the high 700s at least.

Message 444 of 610
cr101
Established Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

@CLARKakaSIX wrote:

@cr101 I have recently gotten all negatives/inaccurate items removed from my TU report. I also just got news yesterday that my Equifax is also clean now, but I have not yet pulled my new score because there is 1 remaining error that EQ actually added during my last dispute. After that is fixed, I am betting my EQ score will be in the high 700s at least.

That's awesome. Congrats. So happy for you. Can't wait to see your new scores and see how that affects your CLIs.

Message 445 of 610
cr101
Established Contributor

This thread has been a little quiet. Discover has reported a revenue drop. Is it wrong for me to hope that covid isn't affecting my graduation limit? Hoping to hear something in the upcoming week.

Message 446 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

This thread has been a little quiet. Discover has reported a revenue drop. Is it wrong for me to hope that covid isn't affecting my graduation limit? Hoping to hear something in the upcoming week.

I read an article about Discover yesterday that was a little comforting. Discover said they aren't cutting lines of existing cutomers because they need the credit right now, but they did say they are offering lower limits to new customers, conducting employment screening for new applicants (I think they are talking about tax income verification), and they aren't giving as many increases to exisitng cardholders. It seems reasonable to me. And I will note they started verifying peoples' income before the COVID stuff started, which points to greater economic trends of uncertainty prior to all this.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/credit-cards-start-cutting-limits-100007311.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/credit-cards-start-cutting-limits-100007311.html

Message 447 of 610
cr101
Established Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

I read an article about Discover yesterday that was a little comforting. Discover said they aren't cutting lines of existing cutomers because they need the credit right now, but they did say they are offering lower limits ...

😭😭😭 this is just my luck. i just have to laugh 😁....i have to look at it this way: if lenders get stingy w the CLI this year, that's just more time for me to improve my credit. so, hopefully, when they start giving out bigger CLI, my profile will look even better.

Message 448 of 610
cr101
Established Contributor

Message 449 of 610
CitizenHobbes
New Contributor

I've been lurking on these forums for two years now, and just recently registered for an actual forums account, and this is my first post!

I applied for a secured Discover card in August/September 2018 for $200, and on the 7th billing cycle, it graduated, but without a CLI. I remember using the card sparingly, for the most part, with the exception of nearly maxing it out in December 2018 before paying it off entirely.

From having read experiences from others in this and other threads it seems there's no rhyme or reason to Discover's decision process; I was prepared to wait a year or more for graduation, but here I am (still with no CLI, for other reasons).

Current Cards:

Next Cards:

Message 450 of 610
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.