cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduation?

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

My Discover secured card just graduated - is immediate CLI possible?

I opened my Discover secured card in May with a $500 CL. I got that raised to $1,000 a couple of months later. I noticed tonight that the CL is now $1,500. I confirmed in chat that this means the card is now unsecured. My seventh statement closed last Thursday. That was my last unsecured card, so I'm excited that it graduated!

I'm less excited about the credit limit. I have three cards with $5,000 limits and another card with a $3,100 limit. My FICO scores are well in the 700s. I have used the Discover card quite a bit, never carrying a balance, and rarely coming close to my credit limit except early on before I raised it. I never exceeded the limit.

Is this a situation where a human at Discover could intervene and smooth out some algorithm-based snag, or will I need to wait two or three months to try for a CLI? Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 281 of 610
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: My Discover secured card just graduated - is immediate CLI possible?

How much did you put through the card each billing cycle?

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 282 of 610
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Initially, around $500. Later (because I had additional options), generally $100-$250 or so.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 283 of 610
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

They tend to be a bit big with experience managing a given limit, especially with secured to unsecured cards. If you want the process to go in your favor you'll have to demonstrate you can handle 1500 and potentially need more. They can be conservative with CLI on those cards. You also can try prequal at your one year mark. An unsecured card usually starts with more.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 284 of 610
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Graduation & Utilization

Hey guys,

My secured Discover is set to have it's 7th statement close in 2 days. I've always PIF before statement close and I use it pretty heavily. Since opening the account 1 collection has dropped off of my report leaving 0 collections and only 1 charge off from Wells Fargo.

Here's my question, how much does overall utilization count towards Discover graduation? I have a Cap1 card with 0% interest that I've been taking advantage of and I let the statement close with a $426 balance. Here's my current credit lines:

DiscoverIt Secured - $1200

Cap 1 Platinum Secured - $501

Cap 1 Platinum Preferred - $1000

Cap 1 Spark Business - $600

Apple Card (Will report to TU beginning Jan after 3rd statement close) - $1500

Citi Secured (Should report to all CRA's soon, they just took my funds yesterday) - $1600

I also have a lease with Honda for the current amount of $7,485

The problem is my Wells Fargo chargeoff seems to be calculated in my TU utilization (but notexperian) and adding that balance to the Cap1 card probably didn't help. As it stands, Experian thinks I only have $3301 and am using $466 which puts me at a 14% util rate. That should drop as soon as Citi reports my $1600 line with them, Goldman Sachs still hasn't released plans to report to Experian yet with the apple card. According to my Fico scoresheet that Discover offers, Transunion on the other hand is counting that WF debt towards util and as of right now only believes I have a $3301 in credit and am using $2119 which is roughly a 64% util rate and even when Citi and Apple report it will drop to only a 33% util rate.

So ultimately my question is how much will this utilization have an impact on Discover's decision to graduate me or not? I made another post recently where people have mentioned them graduating even with a couple charge offs, but how much does util rate factor into the decision. Looking to see if anyone has experience with graduating (or not) with utilization rates in the higher ranges?

Thanks

Message 285 of 610
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Graduation & Utilization

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

My secured Discover is set to have it's 7th statement close in 2 days. I've always PIF before statement close and I use it pretty heavily. Since opening the account 1 collection has dropped off of my report leaving 0 collections and only 1 charge off from Wells Fargo.

Here's my question, how much does overall utilization count towards Discover graduation? I have a Cap1 card with 0% interest that I've been taking advantage of and I let the statement close with a $426 balance. Here's my current credit lines:

DiscoverIt Secured - $1200

Cap 1 Platinum Secured - $501

Cap 1 Platinum Preferred - $1000

Cap 1 Spark Business - $600

Apple Card (Will report to TU beginning Jan after 3rd statement close) - $1500

Citi Secured (Should report to all CRA's soon, they just took my funds yesterday) - $1600

I also have a lease with Honda for the current amount of $7,485

The problem is my Wells Fargo chargeoff seems to be calculated in my TU utilization (but notexperian) and adding that balance to the Cap1 card probably didn't help. As it stands, Experian thinks I only have $3301 and am using $466 which puts me at a 14% util rate. That should drop as soon as Citi reports my $1600 line with them, Goldman Sachs still hasn't released plans to report to Experian yet with the apple card. According to my Fico scoresheet that Discover offers, Transunion on the other hand is counting that WF debt towards util and as of right now only believes I have a $3301 in credit and am using $2119 which is roughly a 64% util rate and even when Citi and Apple report it will drop to only a 33% util rate.

So ultimately my question is how much will this utilization have an impact on Discover's decision to graduate me or not? I made another post recently where people have mentioned them graduating even with a couple charge offs, but how much does util rate factor into the decision. Looking to see if anyone has experience with graduating (or not) with utilization rates in the higher ranges?

Thanks

I think you will be completely fine. Your scores are in a good place and I would assume you either have no baddies or just one or two older ones, based on your cards and scores. My card graduated at 10 months, and I still had multiple negative items and very high utilization. However, many people report their cards taking longer to graduate with no particular, justifiable reason. The decision is made by a computer, so if it does not graduate this month, I would not take it personally.

Message 286 of 610
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I wonder who holds the record for the longest time it took the card to grad? Mine turns 2 years old next month, still secured with my 500 dollar deposit. Fico 8 scores are all around 680. Filed BK13 5 years ago, discharged Jan 2018.

Message 287 of 610
T_Lab_89
Contributor

I believe I saw 3-4 years on here from prior searching. I hope it doesn’t take me 2 years. You have a lot of patience.
April 2019 (4 collections)
EQ - 563
TU - 586
EX - 578
March 2022 (0 collections)
EQ - 670
TU - 690
EX - 691
Message 288 of 610
joltdude
Senior Contributor

toole... have you tried the prequalify yet... your secured card can be stuck... and yes you can app for a second card after a year.... even with a secured card on file....

-j

Message 289 of 610
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

I'm at 13 months and like it was mentioned I prequalified at 1 yr for unsecured and got approved with a pretty darned large CL. Still giving the secured another 6-8 months, hoping for it to graduate so I can merge them.

Message 290 of 610
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.