Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Odds with Bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured Odds with Bankruptcy?

Hey everyone,
I've been really wanting a Discover card since my bankruptcy almost 2 years ago. I've applied twice, once about a month ago and once about a year ago. I was denied both due to bankruptcy. I saw that they are allowing direct applications to the secured card now and have been contemplating it. Does anyone know if they will think about accepting me with a bankruptcy? I have never had a secured card, I also did not burn them in bankruptcy. I've never had a Discover. Seems very odd that they would deny someone with a bankruptcy on a secured card. It's not even a partial secured, it's a full secured card. It seems like they would want people who are trying to rebuild, but I guess not everybody. Definitely seems like one of the harder secured cards to get. I've seen people get denied for the secured card with a bankruptcy, but they had a little bit lower scores than mine. My Equifax score is 675. What do you guys think? The last thing I want to do is waste another hard pull. Thanks guys :-)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Secured Odds with Bankruptcy?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey everyone,
I've been really wanting a Discover card since my bankruptcy almost 2 years ago. I've applied twice, once about a month ago and once about a year ago. I was denied both due to bankruptcy. I saw that they are allowing direct applications to the secured card now and have been contemplating it. Does anyone know if they will think about accepting me with a bankruptcy? I have never had a secured card, I also did not burn them in bankruptcy. I've never had a Discover. Seems very odd that they would deny someone with a bankruptcy on a secured card. It's not even a partial secured, it's a full secured card. It seems like they would want people who are trying to rebuild, but I guess not everybody. Definitely seems like one of the harder secured cards to get. I've seen people get denied for the secured card with a bankruptcy, but they had a little bit lower scores than mine. My Equifax score is 675. What do you guys think? The last thing I want to do is waste another hard pull. Thanks guys :-)

I can't comment on the secured card aside from what I have read on here.

However, I just got in with Discover a week after my two year BK discharge anniversary.  I had previously been denied twice before, once at 12 months and once at 18 months.  My Equifax score was 688.

I am getting the feeling that Discover is a lot like Cap 1 used to be with their secured card in that if you could get approved for the secured card you could have gotten an unsecured one.  Lots of people were decined for the Cap 1 secured card.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

While credit score does have an impact, it's not nearly as critical as credit health. How has your payment history been since your BK? Have you opened a bunch of new accounts or been very reserved and selective? Have you tried recon'ing one of your denied apps? Those are the things I'd look into first. I was approved for the Discover it secured about 2 months ago with a 4-month post discharged BK at the time. It's possible.
Message 3 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey everyone,

Some posted that they were denied the secured card becasue their BK was under two years. So I would wait until you BK is two years post discharge date.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 23
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

If you are under 2 years on the BK, don't risk the HP and they won't recon. Wait it out. You won't get approved right now.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

your statement is quite contradictory to what geemillz22 posted and they experienced it... not heard it. if you read a post of someone successfully doing something and you say "you can't" then you're either not reading the posts or you're purposely giving false info
Message 6 of 23
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

The old system, yes, you would be correct. However, you must not be reading the forums since the recent change in which a plethora of people with BKs are being declined and the reason given was it being under 2 years. I would be more than happy to link you to at least 5 threads with people having BKs under 2 years being declined. You must remember that they changed their criteria 2 weeks ago.

Message 7 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
your statement is quite contradictory to what geemillz22 posted and they experienced it... not heard it. if you read a post of someone successfully doing something and you say "you can't" then you're either not reading the posts or you're purposely giving false info

My post was based on a member post that stated they were declined because their bk was under 2 years.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 23
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My post was based on a member post that stated they were declined because their bk was under 2 years.

This is my understanding as well especially since I know for a fact the criteria changed because I was initially declined and then approved on a second app less than a week later with the same exact credit. 2011XTERROR, Just because someone was able to get it with a BK last year doesn't mean that's true now.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

well i didn't see anything about rule changes but a lot of denial reasons where i work is not enough established payment history since BK. not necessarily just the BK itself.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.